Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Panicked, I walked out of the sports hall. It was over – the first exam. And I was pretty sure I’d done it completely wrong. What kind of a word was provocative? To describe an article? I thought it meant the type of clothes that sluts wear. At least I knew what entertaining meant.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, I now had to sit through an hour of English, where I’d have to listen to people’s brilliant perspectives on how they analysed the article. I hated hidden texts with a passion.

            “Kara, what the hell does provocative mean?” I asked hurriedly as I saw my friend.

            “I thought it meant provoking or something. Kind of like offensive.”

            “Well I’m pretty sure I’ve failed that exam then,” I added. “I didn’t have a clue what it meant. I made it all up.”

            “Oh Lacey, I’m sure you’ve done fine. You always do. It’s not like you need English to get into college anyway.”

            “I still need to pass it, Kara!”

            “Relax. There’s no way you’re failing. Now come on, we have to get to English. I’ll speak to you after class.”

I dumped my bag on the floor as I approached my desk and sat down, putting my head in my hands. And to think there was still two more English exams left. What was happening?

Jackson. I’d completely forgotten that Lewis was here! And I hadn’t spoken to him properly in such a long time. In class, I’d pretended to be revising hard so he wouldn’t question me. Now, there was no excuse.

            “Lacey!” he called as he sat now. “Where’ve you been? I’ve stopped by your place at least fifty times in the passed month and you’re never there. What’s going on?” Oh, here goes.

            “I’m sorry,” I told him. “It’s just with Kara and well, she’s going through a difficult time.”

            “So much that you haven’t been able to see me?”

            “No – it’s not that…”

            “This is about me asking us to be official, isn’t it?” he accused. “It’s fine, Lacey. You could have just said instead of ignoring me.” He picked up his bag and left me sitting there with all eyes on me, including a certain very nosy teacher.

The class drags on. It felt like days, never mind a single hour that had passed when the bell rang. I couldn’t get my mind of Lewis. Had I really ignored him? I hadn’t meant to, had I? It was obvious what the answer to that was. And now prom was practically useless since he probably didn’t want to go with me anymore. And poor Kara was in the middle of it all.

I headed straight to the toilets when class finished even though I knew it meant being late to my next lesson.

            “I already heard what happened in English.” I knew that voice. “He isn’t worth it, you know. I know that.” Em. It had been a long time since she’d spoken to me.

            “Rumours spread that quickly, huh,” I commented. “Anyway – it’s up to me what I do. Stay out of it.”

            “Suit yourself, Lacey. He’ll only do to you what he did to me.”

I couldn’t believe that she was still bitter over it. She was having a baby, for crying out loud. With somebody else.

“I thought you were supposed to be at home now, anyway.”

            “I came in for the exam and stuck around for a while.”

            “Good luck, anyway. With everything. I have to go now.” I did mean it. She was just confused. And she didn’t understand that this was all my fault. All my fault…

Haha, this is nearly finished now. Probably a couple more chapters left. Sorry it's short again, but I really wanna get this over with! :)