Chapter Twenty-Nine

My palms felt sweaty as I stood outside of the sports hall, scanning the grid of squares for my name.

            “You’re here,” a familiar voice said, pointing towards my name in one of the boxes.

            “Thanks,” I replied, a little shakily.

            “Relax, Jennings. You will ace this exam. It’s only English Literature.” I nodded at Lewis, who was leaning against the wall, relaxed.

            “Yes, Lewis is right, Lacey. But he on the other hand does have something to worry about.”

            “Sir – you can’t say that,” Lewis shouted in mock horror. “I will come out with an A* on this exam. Just you wait.” Both Mr Kerrington and I exploded into laughter. “What? You don’t believe me? Fine,” he said.

            “Come on, Jackson. We’d better go and take our seats,” I interrupted him before he could get any more dramatic.

            “Good luck, Lacey – and you Lewis,” Mr Kerrington told us before following us into the exam.

Lewis sat at the seat in front of me and started to bounce his leg up and down. He was so irritating in exams – it was unbelievable. The exam officer began to hand out our papers; a single answer booklet and a question paper. I tried and failed to read the question through the paper as the exam officer began his legendary, boring speech about how mobile phones should be turned off, or preferably out of the room. Mine was at home, of course.

Finally, the clock was set to nine o’clock and the January English Literature exam began.

It was surprising how quickly forty-five minutes passed when you were writing as much as you could without straying off topic. Before I knew it, I was nervously walking out of the sports hall with my see-through plastic pencil case and being bombarded with questions from Kara.

            “Did you do question one?” she asked impatiently.

            “No,” I replied. “I did question two, it looked easier.”

            “What? I question one was so much easier!” she exclaimed in horror.

            “Well I did neither – I went for question three.” I turned around to see Lewis grinning.

            “That’s even worse,” Kara commented, looking even more horrified than before. “The English teachers always tell you to avoid that question because it’s difficult to get marks on.”

            “Well I did it; the other two seemed a little ridiculous.”

            “I’m just going to go to the toilet,” I interrupted before they found themselves in a heated argument. “I’ll meet you outside for break – even if it is cold.”

I turned down the other corridor and left them to go out onto the yard. I didn’t want to talk about the exam because it would only make me more nervous.

At first, I thought that I was alone in the bathrooms, but then I heard a small, sniffling sound coming from one of the cubicles. The toilet flush sounded and Em came out with a tissue in her hand, mopping tears from her eyes. Before a confrontation, I turned to leave.

            “No, Lacey – wait.” The sound of her crackling voice startled me.

            “What do you want, Em?” I felt horrible for snapping at her but I wasn’t in the mood for arguments. Not after an exam.

            “Just stay with me,” she pleaded. Because I was feeling mean about shouting at her, I stayed.

            “Was it the English?” I asked finally, filling the awkward silence.

            “No,” she sobs. After a few minutes, she spoke again. “I’m really sorry about how I reacted to you and Lewis, I really am. I was just jealous because even though he was my boyfriend, he only talked about you.”

            “Not exactly my fault,” I added.

            “And I know he never cheated on me with you too, I just wanted revenge.”

            “Understandable,” I muttered.

            “Instead, it was me that cheated.”

This time I didn’t have a smart one word answer to give her. She cheated on Lewis? How could she? That was wrong. Really wrong.  

            “With who?” I questioned as anger rose up within me.

            “J-Jonny,” she whimpered. “But he doesn’t want anything to do with me now. Not anymore.”

            “But why, Em? You cheated on Lewis with Jonny. Jonny screws people over. You know that.”

            “But it was so exciting!” she wailed, more tears running down her cheeks. “Yet it was a big mistake.”

            “What happened, Em?”

            “I’m pregnant.”

I stood before the girl in front of me with mixed emotions. Why was she talking to me about this? I was just the person who stole her boy according to her. I didn’t particularly like her and vice versa.

            “I think you should see the nurse, Em,” I said after a long pause. “She can help you more than I can – with options and stuff.”

            “But what do I say? If this gets out everybody will think I’m a slut. Oh no. Jonny had better not say anything to anyone.”

            “Jonny may like to play games but I don’t think he’d be that low,” I replied. “I’ll come with you,” I offered before I could stop the words from flowing out of my mouth.

            “You will?”

            “Yeah.”

It turned out that going to the nurse wasn’t a big deal. I sat and listened as Em poured out her worries and didn’t even have to input my opinion.

            “Can we go back to normal?” she asked when we left. “Like before the whole mess with Lewis.”

            “Sure,” I replied. “But don’t accuse me of anything like that again.”

The look on both Kara’s and Lewis’ face was hilarious as Em and I walked towards are friendship group chatting like nothing had happened. There wasn’t much of dinner left after we’d been to the nurse. Jonny looked a little out of sorts but I wasn’t surprised.

            “Since when did that happen?” Ronan said, jumping passed Lewis and Kara. “You two are sworn enemies and now your having a friendly conversation like best friends?”

            “We just came to an understanding, that’s all.”

After the awkwardness passed, it was just like old times. Em spoke with Jonny and I was pleased to see that it was all working out with them now Jonny was over the shock of it all. We didn’t tell any of the others though – just in case.

            “See, it all worked out,” Lewis said, laughing and then kissing me on the cheek.

            “Not here,” I groaned. “It’s too open.” He looked a little disappointing but any sign of it disappeared quickly.

            “Alright,” he replied.

Heeeeeey! Guys - I have a HUGE favour to ask.

My Short Story, 'The Screaming Mind' is under the Watty Awards, Short Story, Undiscovered category. I'm a bit far behind at the moment. Could you help me out?

Thanks guys! I got so many reads, it's awesome :D