Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

The bell rang signalling it was time to go to English. Checking my appearance in the toilet mirror, I noticed it didn’t look as if I had been crying anymore. Sighing, I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked across the corridor to English. Mr Kerrington smiled at me as I walked in, but I didn’t return it. Lewis was already sat down, and was trying to find his pen in his pocket. Looks like he lost it again. Confidently on the outside and nervously within, I sat down, taking my pencil case out of my bag and then pretending to listen to Mr Kerrington talk about A Christmas Carol.

            “So I want you to work with your partner and write down you initial thoughts about the character of Scrooge,” Mr Kerrington told us. I took off my pen lid and began scribbling, completely ignoring Lewis.

            “Earth to Jennings, can I borrow a pen?” I continued ignoring him. “Come on, it’s just a pen.”

            “Jackson, shut up, I’m trying to work here.”

            “We’re supposed to be working together,” he complained.

            “Well I don’t feel like working with you.” He sighed, shaking his head. It was better this way. If we didn’t get on well, Em couldn’t say anything had happened. The teacher told us to put our pens down.

            “So Miss Jennings and Mr Jackson, what’ve you written down?” our stupid teacher asked smugly, knowing full well that we hadn’t worked together.

            “Urm,” I hesitated. “I think he’s mean, selfish and unsociable.”

            “And you, Mr Jackson?” Lewis frowned at me as I made sure to close my book. I was being petty, but I couldn’t help it. Perhaps my anger was getting the better of me.

            “I don’t know, sir.”

            “Well I suggest you both come to detention at dinner then.” I began to grin happily, until I realised he had used the word ‘both’.

            “But sir, I answered your question.”     

            “Ah, but Miss Jennings, this task was teamwork, and I think lately you two need to learn how to work together.” The class giggled.

            “Oh, they definitely know how to work together,” someone added. I ignored it, and started to doodle on my notebook.

            “That’s enough,” he snapped and the class became silent.

The rest of the lesson passed quickly enough. I couldn’t get out of their any faster when the bell rang. I had Biology next, which to my dismay meant Kara next to me and Lewis behind me. At least Ronan was there. But to my surprise, Kara wasn’t in the classroom when I entered. Lewis was sat biting a pen that someone must have kindly let him borrow, and Ronan was waving at me.

            “Where’s Kara?” I asked Ronan when I sat down.

            “I don’t know – she walked out of English.” I frowned. It wasn’t like Kara to walk out of lesson. I quit worrying. Maybe the guilt had caught up with her.

            “Right, so today we’re going to start Biogas…” the lesson had begun, but I couldn’t concentrate.

            “Sir, may I go to the toilet?” I asked. He turned to see who had asked the question, saw me with my hand up and nodded. I rose from my seat and found the toilets.

When I walked in, I could hear somebody sniffling. Quietly, I entered, and the crying stopped.

            “Are you alright in there?” I questioned, hoping that it wasn’t a year seven upset it there. The lock on the cubicle clicked open, and a girl came out. Her eyes were red with tears and her make up had smudged around her eyes.

            “Kara?” I stated, shocked. She never lost control like this.

            “Lacey I’m so sorry,” she began, more tears flowing. “I believe you, I know you wouldn’t do that to Em really, I was just so angry and so much is happening and I really am sorry.” I stepped towards her, giving her a hug.       

            “It’s okay, I forgive you, just tell me what’s wrong,” I hushed. She looked so fragile, and no matter how angry I had been with her before, all bad feelings were gone now. She stayed there crying for a while, and I just stood there with her. She would tell me when she was ready.

            “I don’t know what to say,” she whispered.

            “You can tell me, maybe I can help,” I encouraged.

            “Nothing can help her Lacey, nothing at all.”

            “Help who Lacey?”

            “It’s Olivia,” she mouthed. “She’s dying.”

Hey, I'm thinking of trying a new story. What do you think? It's going to be written in a different stlyle to this one.

Sorry for the cliffhanger if you can call it that. :/

It's my prom on Thursday! I'm so excited. Hahaha. I can't wait. I've gotta walk in baby heels though oooooooooooooops that is gonna be crazy! :S