× Chapter 4 ×

Last of the 2nd Phase exam

"Time for my evaluation~"
Juno said and presented his dish infront of the judges.
Buhara didn't rush to eat this time, he just inspected the dish quietly.
Menchi was giving a cold shoulder to Juno but she still inspected the roasted pig. "Hmm... not over cooked nor under cooked. The skin looks crunchy and the meat seems tender... Fine, I'll give it a try."

Menchi stabbed the flesh with a fork and took out a chunck of meat then stuffed it in her mouth. After, she shallowed the meat then said while savoring the after taste in her mouth "Hm... Tastes better than it looks.. I'll be generous and let you pass-" suddenly her eyes opened wide, her body stumbled forward and vomited out a black liquid that has the metalic smell of blood.

Buhara rushed to help the other judge but Menchi gestured that she was fine. After vomiting, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and looked at Juno sharply with rage flaring in her eyes.
"What did you do, kid?" She said with slight hostility. Buhara stepped up and said "As expected, it's the filter mushroom."

Menchi looked at Buhara questionably.
Buhara:"Filter mushroom is one of the rare types of plants that grow in Biske forest. It is used as medical herb but at the same time it contains a deadly symptoms that could kill people. As much as you consume, the suited amount of blood loss from internal organs will be extracted. It's a good thing you only took a bite. Also, it is said to have a flexible flavor that can suit anyone's desired taste for one self which gives it, it's name."

Menchi scoffed at her fellow judge "So you just watched me eat a poison." Which Buhara replied with "it's not like that, I never seen the real thing in real life so I wasn't sure."
Menchi:"Anyways, kid..." she graled at the silently standing Juno. "You know, you'll have consequences to pay for this." She warned.

"Hmm~ that was unexpected~" Juno light heartedly replied and took up a defence pose.
Menchi:"Unexpected? Do you expect me to believe that you didn't know of this?" She glared at the boy and pulled out the knives that was with her. Before she could do something, the boy took action and stepped back, making space between them.

Juno gleefully smiled at the two and said out loud. "Not really, the trust part is your problem. I may have known or may have not known, do you have any evidence I did it intentionally?~ "
Menchi clenched her jaw and prepared to yell but Buhara stopped her. "He could be saying the truth, you know. The pig could've consumed the plant before it was killed." He said and patted her shoulder.

Menchi tried to protest but kept it mature and stopped. "... fine. If you say so... If this kind of thing is repeated or if I find any evidence, prepare for it." She said and threw the knife at the table while glaring suspiciously at the boy.
"Hai~hai~ I understand~" Juno said and turned around to leave in a good mood.

Menchi:"Ah.. wait."
The boy turned his head around at the woman.
Juno:"hmm~? Fell for my charm already~? ... just kidding~"
Menchi sighed and replied "Of course not." then smirked at him. "I take my word back."
Juno smiled at the older female "eh~? Did you really fell fo-"
Menchi:"You didn't pass." She said and left for another participant.

Juno:"Ah... should've left early... then maybe I would've passed..." he mumbled in disappointed tone.
As he was walking back to where Gon and the others were, he thought back to what just happened. 'Filter mushroom... I've seen it but didn't think it would actually work~ even if it worked, I didn't expect it to have effect this quick. That guy has better senses than I expected, if he went for a dig then he would've probably been dead already. Well, it's not like I did intentionally.'
He thought a smiled 'who knew that pig would eat the mushroom I dropped acci-den-tally ~ fu ~fu'