0.2

TO: m.white@gmail.com

FROM: aj.white@gmail.com

SUBJECT: Detention (part 2)

DATE: UNKNOWN
------------------------------------------------

"The rules in here are simple. No eating, no drinking, no sleeping, no talking, no tapping, no texting. You break a rule, I add another day of detention. Are we clear?" Jenny, the former music teacher, says before pausing.

"Great." She says when everybody stays silent, and I continue cleaning the storage room, wiping the words off of the chalkboards.

Stella Yamada, lead guitar.

Wen Gifford, keyboard.

Mo Banjaree, bass.

Charlie Delgado, drum god.

Olivia White, future frontman for Lemonade Mouth.

And me, AJ White, dancer, keyboard, bass, singer.

"One, two, three, four, five." Jenny counts.

"Where is AJ?" Jenny asks, not seeing me.

"Here." I yell.

She sighs.

"Are you at least cleaning?" She asks.

"Of course. Before lunch, I always move things around and organize the cabinet of things, or like yesterday when I rebuilt Mrs. Bone." I chuckle, continuing to wipe off the board.

It was this ragtag group of five that started it all.

"All right. I have decided, rather than let you twiddle your little thumbs for the next hour, we are going to put those thumbs to use. We're gonna clean up around here. We're gonna unpack, and we're gonna turn this storage room into a music room. I mean, we might as well make the best of it, right? We've been banished to the basement." Jenny hands those in detention red rags and rants.

"Did you hear that? Ooh. You know what? If they spent a fraction of what that new gymnasium cost to keep this music program alive, I - - Ooh. That is it. That is it." Jenny snaps.

But if I'm gonna tell you this right, I need to go back to the beginning. The morning it all began.

-AJ White