Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The hospital corridors were darker than usual, the lights above flickering. It was eerily silent, not a single peep heard and all the doors on the emergency floor were wide open, the lights in the rooms switched off, making the rooms look dark and menacing, like it held a horrible monster.

What the hell was going on? Brendon wondered anxiously, feeling his heart beat speed up underneath his ribs, struggling to breathe at the same time because it felt like someone’s hands were clamping around his throat in a vice like grip.

As if on automatic, his feet led him right to room 106, where Spencer was slowly trying to come back to life.

The room was dark as well but with the flickering lights, Brendon could faintly make out Spencer lying in the sheets, his body shaking and jerking, the alpha whimpering under his breath like he was trapped in a horrible nightmare he couldn’t wake up from. It took Brendon a second to realize that Spencer was strapped to the bed with thick, black belts on his wrists, across his chest and his ankles.

“Spencer!” Brendon gasped, about to run forward.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Brendon screamed like a banshee and nearly lost his soul, grasping at his chest because one second there was no one there and then the corridor lights had flickered and Cherie Puttah had appeared like a demon summoned from hell.

He could see nothing but her face in the darkness, and it was entirely crippling.

She stood right beside Spencer, too close for comfort, her lips stretched into an evil grin. She remained unmoving in the darkness, not bothering to come forward so that he could see her completely, her face just glowing eerily in the shadows despite the flickering lights.

“So you think you’re smart, huh?” she asked, that grin still plastered to her face. If Brendon was unsure that Cherie Puttah was out of her mind, then this was perfect proof. The woman was insane. “So you found the cure. Ha, good for you. This is something small, Brendon,” the way she said his name made Brendon shiver in revulsion and fear, “something bigger is coming.”

Her lips began to stretch even wider, the corners trailing all the way up to her ears, her eyes glowing red.

She opened her mouth and screeched, the sound like a million people being tortured before reaching for Spencer and grabbing his neck, snapping it quickly and effortlessly.

Brendon screamed and jumped forward to rip her fucking throat out when he was suddenly shooting violently awake, his entire body soaked with sweat.

He glanced round the hospital room he was in frantically. It was empty and he wasn’t with Spencer! The lights in the corridor were on and there was the noise of nurses and people milling about, not the silence of the dream he’d had. He didn’t have time to think about the completely fucked up nightmare he’d just had before he was scrambling off the uncomfortable hospital bed.

Spencer. He needed to see Spencer.

He ran back to the emergency room the alpha was held in on shaky legs, bursting into the room without preamble.

Except for the colour returning back to his skin, Spencer looked the same way Brendon had left him. The sound of the heart monitor, now beeping steadily with the thump of a sturdy heartbeat was like a balm to Brendon’s wounded soul. Brendon noticed another empty carton of water in the corner, silently thanking the nurse in his head for giving more water to Spencer while the beta had been unconscious.