Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Brendon McKelly had to take several deep breaths outside the Medical Examiner’s lab, trying to get his racing pulse under control. He’d popped a few pills into his mouth in the bathroom a few minutes ago and was waiting desperately for them to kick in. He raised his hand up, pressing his fist against the door and lowering his head to inhale deeply through his mouth.

In. Out. In. Out.

This happened every time an alpha’s body was brought in. Just…the alpha pheromones in the air brought out some horrible emotions and memories in him that he really didn’t want to show when he was with other people.

At times like this he regretted getting rid of his therapist but then at the same time that made him tell himself that he was completely fine. He just needed to let out his anger and resentment in a different and more productive way which he’d been doing by joining the Beta Omega Rights Foundation.

And besides, Spencer Smith – his boss – needed his clear judgement right now – it was no time to have a panic attack. He adjusted the breathing mask over his face, checking himself to make sure that he was completely covered and safe from accidental exposure to the dead body – scrubs, head scarf and gloves in place. Heaving in another deep breath, he re-entered the room. Thank God, the pheromones and alpha scent in the air had drastically reduced, replaced now by the smell of chemicals and medicine. The mask also helped in reducing the scent and Brendon no longer felt like going on a blind rampage.

“Seriously, it’s like he just dropped and died,” Spencer was saying to Lillian Potter, their assistant. While Spencer was the Chief Medical Examiner, Brendon was the Chief Medical Assistant and Lillian helped to assist the both of them on their cases. She didn’t do much except file reports and fill in for Brendon if he happened to be absent, which he never was so her job was literally the easiest. What wasn’t part of her job description however, was trying to pair her two bosses together and not being subtle about it either.

Okay, maybe Brendon was being a hypocrite by saying that because he and Spencer flirted a lot. It was literally unhealthy how much they flirted, god. But it was just harmless flirting; Brendon told himself for what felt like the millionth time since he’d met the other beta but the scent of Spencer on his skin and vice versa told a lot of people otherwise.

 “It’s like the gods just flew down from the heavens to smite him on the spot,” Spencer was grumbling and that earned him a chuckle from Lillian, who was standing beside him, her signature clipboard and pen in her hands. Spencer sounded completely baffled as he stared at the naked dead body on the examination table, hands on his slim hips, his black short afro shining from the bright white light above his head.

“There’s absolutely nothing to suggest that he was murdered or killed or it was even a suicide,” Spencer continued, looking up when he noticed Brendon’s presence.

Lillian looked up too and smirked, “looks like the hubby is back,” she teased and Brendon felt himself flush even as he rolled his eyes and flipped the female beta off.

“Hey sweetie,” Spencer winked and Brendon could feel himself blushing harder underneath his safety mask even as he replied, “hello yourself gorgeous.”

Lillian rolled her eyes extremely dramatically.

“If there’s nothing happening on the outside then we’ve got to move internal quickly before we lose anything,” Brendon said, tightening the rubber gloves on his hands and breathing steadily through the protective mask on his face.