Bubbles

I remember it so well. I heard the voice of my father. He was yelling at someone. I wanted to know who it was, and what the fight was about. I was so warm though.

My mother had tucked me in not long before. She had given me a kiss on the cheek and said “I love you my sweet Bubbles. Good night my child.” She had always done this. I noticed though, that she would not do the same to my sister.

My sister, Lilith, was thirteen at the time. She never talked to me. When she looked at me, it was only to glare. My father would always spend time with my sister. When he looked at me, all I saw was disappointment and curiosity.

I would have felt like I did not belong if it were not for my mother. She would always try to spoil me. She always told me she loved me. I felt like as long as she was there, then I would belong. I loved my mother.

But then, I should have known. There were signs. I chose to ignore them. She was the only one I had. I should have said something when I saw the look in her eyes.

I should have seen the way my father looked at her. It was like he was.. scared of her. I was so young though. I did not know. She was the only one that cared.

I did not believe that she could do that. She was so sweet to me. She was loving and caring. I had heard voices that night. I could tell one was my father’s voice.

I got out of my warm bed and tiptoed across my room to my door. I opened my door just a crack. I loved my room. It was right across from the living room. I often snuck out to the living room to watch TV at night.

Everyone else was normally upstairs in bed. Not that night. I looked through the crack of the door to see my mother and my father standing in the middle of the living room. “Why don’t you treat them the same?” My father had tried to keep his voice low, but it was rising.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I treat my Bubbles fine. My angel is perfect. Now keep that whore and yourself away from him.” She had her back to me.

I could see she was hiding something shiny. I thought nothing of it though. I was too busy trying to find out what a whore was and who she was talking about. “Don’t you dare say that about my daughter! She is just as perfect as he is!”

That was the first time I had heard him yell. I remember wondering who they were talking about. As far as I knew they had never even talked to each other. “How dare you! My son is not like that Thing!”

Then she charged toward him. The hand that had been holding the shiny object was now in front of her. I heard my father yelp in pain. I wondered for a second where my sister was before I remembered her telling father that she was sleeping over a friend’s house.

I opened my door and stepped out. I wanted to make sure my mother was ok. I did not have any feelings for my father, for he did not impact my life as my mother did. It might have also been that I did not know the meaning or the word its self. Death. I walked slowly over to my mother.

She was crouching over my father’s motionless body. “Mother? Are you ok?” I had asked it in a quiet calm voice so I would not startle her. She looked up at me, and then screamed.

I had stumbled back scared and confused. After she had screamed she had sat there quietly for some time before she had picked up the shiny object out of my father’s bleeding neck and started to walk toward me. My eyes had widened at the sight of the blood. He had not moved.

Why had he not moved yet? That must have hurt. She walked toward me until she was right in front of me, then she dropped to her knees. She leaned in to me so that her face was an inch from mine. “My darling Bubbles.”

She had said. She smiled a kind loving smile for a minute. I had thought that everything was ok again. That was until her face twisted a second before she had plunged the sharp object into her. She this repeatedly until she went limp and red soaked as well. It was then that I learned the meaning of death.