𝔬𝔫𝔢

LA LA LAND

LA LA LAND.
──── act 1, scene 1.

THE FIRST DAY back at college had gotten off to a good start. That was until Marie forgot to tie her laces before she left her house and in turn tripped up the steps leading up to the school as soon as she'd arrived. Unfortunately, she'd been texting Ruby on her phone so that went flying across the pavement too, most likely shattering into pieces.

Marie laid on the floor when she fell, making no effort to stand back up. She just let her classmates walk around her as she groaned to herself and clutched onto her grazed elbow.

"Falling for me already? Thought you and Jackson only broke up last week."

Marie could recognise that voice anywhere. She scrunched her face up and opened her eyes to see the figure of Adam Groff towering over her. He reached out his hand to help her up, pulling it away when Marie's finger tips just touched his, sending the blonde girl flying back onto the floor.

"Oh, fuck off Adam." She groaned, painfully standing up on her own. Marie rushed around to pick up the pens and paper that had fell out of her bag before more people trampled on it, sending glares in Adam's direction as he stood nonchalantly and failed to acknowledge that she could probably do with some help.

"You probably need this." He sniggered as he finally put in a bit of effort. He reached down and picked up Marie's phone, indeed with half the screen hanging off.

"Bollocks." She mumbled under her breath, throwing her bag over her shoulder and ripping her phone from his hands. She assessed it lazily before throwing it to the ground again out of frustration and sticking her middle finger up at it. Adam chuckled at her annoyance, earning him a second death stare. He held his hands up to declare his innocence and shrugged.

"Don't you have an Aimee to go and shag or something?" Marie finally spoke to break the thick silence between them. She watched as Adam's eyes widened and he cleared his throat.

"Sex shouldn't be the main focus of any healthy relationship." He mumbled, puffing out his chest. Marie raised her eyebrows at him.

"Well, sorry Gandhi." She mumbled before walking away. She bent down to tie her lace when she was in the school building, only to be tipped over again by the one person she hoped she wouldn't see today.

Marie gulped and slowly stood up, biting her lip as the hall fell silent. "Sorry." She whispered as she stared into the face of Jackson Marchetti. His friends all laughed and sneered at the unfortunate incident that had just occurred.

"No, it was my fault." He replied, placing his arm on her shoulder and gently moving her to the side to end their conversation. As he walked away and the volume in the corridor rose again, the anger inside Marie built up. How could Jackson have acted so calmly towards her but just 6 days ago he was yelling at her down the phone?

Out of sheer frustration, her arm involuntarily flew out and she stuck her middle finger up again, this time in the direction of her ex-boyfriend. Marie heard a chuckle from beside her, knowing without having to think that it was Adam. She flipped him off as well, as scuttled off to find Anwar and Ruby before their first lesson started. . .