Chapter 24:Alone (Part 2)

(There's a great song at the side. Love Againt the Wall. Such a sweet song for this chapter. Take a listen while you read this chapter)

"I meant what I said,"

She lay in the bed with her back to him, shutting him out. Nothing changed. He still went to work every morning and came in after she was asleep. She was beginning to think he wasn't taking her seriously anymore. "Cassie, I'm tired. Can we talk about this tomorrow," His arm was over his head lazily as he tried to settle down.

"When are we going to talk about this then?"

She prepared to slip from the bed to sleep in one of the other rooms. "Wait.."

 "I need to sleep and right now I just need some peace,"

 She was out of the hospital three months now, but he had broken off his promise to her after the first week. She brushed it off, knowing she didn't need the additional stress. She reached into the walk in closet, finding her overnight bag and packing it silently.

"Where are you going Cassie?"

"Out," She scowled, zipping it shut and brushing past him.

"Is it a problem if we talk about this in the morning? I'm tired," He whined looking at her, dressed in her pajamas clutching her bag for dear life. In typical Cassie fashion, she wore a pair of sparkly bunny slippers.

"It's a problem because you're always tired. We never talk! You come home...go to bed...wake up...go to work and do the same bloody thing over again," She couldn't help but scream at him. She was finally standing her ground. 

"I'm sorry,"

She turned to leave the room, grabbing her car keys from off the mantle.

"I wonder if we fell in love with each other or the sex,"  She cowered in fear when he lunged towards her missing her face by a few inches but smashing a neaby vase behind her. It shattered into a million and one pieces.

"I love you. If you think I used you for sex then you're sadly mistaken. I bought this home for us.. to raise our children in and you say that. Are you insane woman? Just because I don't spend time with you like I used to doesn't mean you aren't my main focus right now,"

 She shook  as he had her pinned against the wall. This was not the same passion she had experienced during their relationship. His nostrils flared as he got angrier. His face was so red that it looked like he was auditioning for Clifford the Big Red Dog.

 A moment of weakness and she sprinted for the door. "If you leave Cassie..."

That sure sounded like a threat.

He watched her from the landing as she hesitated at the door. "If I leave what then? You'll stop holding my hand...you'll stop telling me I'm beautiful. I'm sorry but I need one night to process this entire relationship," She flung the door open stepping out into the night air.

"Then go!" 

   An hour later, she stood outside of her parent's home, pounding on the door, as the rain soaked her thoroughly. She almost felt as if it was sensing her sadness. "Everytime the rain pours, a woman sheds her tears," He told her that many times, but it had never been more true at this moment. She covered her mouth, leaning against the door frame.

She loved him yes.

"Oh dear lord, Cassandra is that you?" She heard her mother ask opening the door and finding her daughter slumped against doorframe, whimpering like a small child.

"Honey, come quick. Something's wrong with Cassie," Her mother pulled her inside, instantly working on getting her out of her wet things. Her father excused himself for a few seconds while she got decent and then returned, holding his baby girl close. Even though she was his middle child, she was a daddy's girl.

 "I'm sorry," She wiped her eyes, looking at both of them. Her eyes hurt from the crying but her heart was still heavy. "I'm over-reacting. I feel like if I'm in a one sided relationship. I've done everything alone in this pregnancy. He only came back here because I was sick but I know he wants to be back in England. I'm losing him but not to another woman," She bawled her eyes out again.

"Right now I just need to sleep. Is it okay if I crash here?" She asked, after she had dried her hair. 

"Sure you can, sweetie," 

Once upstairs in her room, she laid back on the bed ,rubbing her stomach in slow circles. Her girls were busy tonight, having a party in her tummy. She felt a slight flutter then cursed when she felt a kick. But the kick wasn't gentle, it hurt. To pass the time, she sang to herself, enjoying the ritual she always did when she was alone.

Something was missing here...

"I'm no good without you Evan, but I have to learn how to be,"

  Her eyes fluttered as she drifed off into a deep sleep.

Evan cursed as he downed another shot. He had spent the entire night tossing and turning in that big bed, without hearing her light snoring. He hit the oak of the bar, indicating for the barman to hit him again. His glass was empty. "Man, its four am. Don't you have a wife to cuddle up against?" The overweight man asked. Evan growled tossing a couple of bills at the man.

 "I can't be alone right now man. My lady just walked out on me and I can't blame her," He hit his glass down and cringed.  The soft notes of Brian McKnight's Back at One made him feel worse.

 "I'm sorry man," 

"She didn't even know I had this for her," He pulled out the Tiffany box from his pocket looking at the perfectly shaped box that would secure his future with the woman he loved. He flipped open the box and held the 14 carat ring up to the inquisitive eyes of the barman.

"It's beautiful,"

The ring's beauty was no match for Cassie's beauty but he had spent months designing it. "Thanks," He took the bottle from the man, smiling weakly.

"I can keep the bar open until six. I usually don't do this but I'm going to keep the bar open until my daughter comes in at seven. Just try not to break anything," Evan nodded as the man left him alone with his thoughts.