Five - You're Not Quite Satan...

I was running late. My amazing ability to stay on time for the previous week had suddenly been broken when I realized I had only five minutes to get to school while in the middle of eating a bowl of Fruit Loops on the safety of the living room couch. 

Rushing to school, had never been too hard for me. I couldn't even count how many times I had woken up late, mostly due to my alarm having a 'snooze' button, with only one more tardy until I earned myself a detention. I always made it on time.

Today, however, was not looking as hopeful. I bumped into many people just casually walking through the streets, even at one point making a lady drop a brown paper bag of groceries that she had been carrying out of a store. Just adding this whole thing to the growing list of how my life is basically one cliche movie all of the time.

I could even see the school directly ahead of me, but with my growing distance, I could also hear the loud school bell signifying that I had not made it on time today and was going to have to come up with some genius excuse of why I had come into class late with a milk stain on the collar of my shirt. 

When I got to my first hour though, I didn't need an excuse. 

Teachers are just as careless as students and thankfully our teacher had been exceptionally careless and was also late to class. Like many others, she was probably just in the hallway talking to other teachers to avoid doing their actual jobs, but I didn't feel like pressing my luck and took my seat next to Jenna with a sigh of relief,

"Nice shirt." Jenna giggled beside me, looking down at where I had dropped my bowl in my rush to just leave the house. One of my siblings was going to have clean it up when they got home and I was most defiantly going to have to pay for it later. 

"Yeah, whatever. I was running late." I didn't even look over at her as I mumbled the sentence to myself. I didn't even really need to look over at her as I knew she would have that same dumb clueless look on her face. I guess clueless really isn't the correct term. Naive is much better.

"Alright! Math! Let's begin!" The teacher said happily, stumbling into the classroom as if she was drunk. If today had been my first day of school I probably would have thought that, but I had grown used to just the general craziness of my math teacher on caffeine and every morning after downing a Starbuck's coffee, she was ramped up for a day or learning and overall just getting on my nerves.

Almost half way through my homework, I felt something hit my foot. For a second I thought it was someone throwing something at me because of a dare of a fellow classmate, but I soon remembered I sat at the back of the classroom.

Looking down, it turned out to be a folded note, Jenna's sneakers moving back underneath her desk as if it just had been there the whole time. Reluctantly, I picked it up before the teacher, or anyone else really, could see and opened it up.

'I have a shirt in my locker you can borrow.'

-------

"We're going to be late" I complained, wrapping my arms around the upper part of my body. 

Towards the end of lunch, Jenna had grabbed my hand and walked me down to the school's locker rooms where the promised shirt supposedly was.

The room's tiled floors were cluttered with girl's shorts and wrappers of products I couldn't identify, or at least didn't feel the need to pick up and find out. The entire place smelled directly of mold, the smell beginning to give me a migraine for having stood in here too long. Jenna had assured me the shirt was clean, but with the current state of the room, I don't know how much I believed her.

"We're going to be fine, stop worrying so much. Aha! Here you go." Jenna shoved a black shirt into my hands before motioning towards a line of bathroom stalls at the back of the room. 

We didn't have enough time for me to walk over there and change just to be modest, the bell having already rang, so I just set the black shirt on top of a wooden bench and removed the shirt I had been wearing.

"Woah, Tay. We've only known each other for a week!" Jenna said giggling, turning. I could see a pink tint on her cheeks though as she turned in the other direction so she was no longer facing me.

I just rolled my eyes at her, just ignoring the comment as I slipped on the shirt. It thankfully fit and she thankfully had a good music taste as the shirt had 'Led Zeppelin' scribbled at the top. I guess it's better than a wrinkled milk stained shirt, of course a lot of things are better than walking around in that. 

"You can turn around now." I said, adjusting the shirt as she smiled at me,  her face returning to it's usual tan color rather than being stained a deep crimson like it had been before. 

"Good. It fits!" She said proudly. I couldn't think of some usual witty comeback, but I didn't need to as she just grabbed my hand and led me out of the room. The mold free hair was definitely a lot better than the infested one.

"Thanks.... Jenna." I mumbled, looking at both of our feet as she led both of us through the almost empty hallway. Kids not concerned with being on time, or the ones smoking, were the only ones besides us outside of class. I almost felt awkward wearing something belonging to Jenna, but at the same time enjoyed it too. I just hope she doesn't ask for it back.

-------

Ah, finally finished. I'm sorry for it being shorter than I had wanted, but I've got two essays due soon and didn't have much time to write this (I also blame the Kim Kardashian game.) If it seems rushed, that's why.

As always, thanks for reading!