⚠Chapter Thirty Two: Closer⚠

*Warning: This chapter contains sexual content.

"There you two are," Lis walked right at us the moment we stepped foot into the palace halls. "I was wondering where you went."

She stopped when she spotted my hand tugged under the king's arm, and I didn't mistake the small smile she shot at us, at the way we were so closely standing next to each other. I immediately let go and stepped back a few inches, putting as much casual distance as possible.

King Gabriel didn't seem to notice and instead asked, "Is something wrong?"

"No," Lis shrugged, that smile not dropping as she drifted her eyes from my red face towards her brother's. "I wanted to call you for dinner but didn't find you at your study. And Lydia was nowhere to be seen. Where were you?"

He cleared his throat as if what we were doing was some scandal. "We ran into each other when we were shopping."

Lis lifted a surprised eyebrow at her brother. "You? Shopping willingly?"

He rolled his eyes, streaking past her. "I just wanted a few things."

"Clearly," she did not seem convinced but turned to me. "And you?"

"Same."

I didn't want her to see the obvious embarrassment, so I lowered my head and went after the king. But she was as persistent as her damn brother. "He didn't give you any trouble, did he?"

She linked her arm in mine, whispering so he wouldn't hear her. Not that he could, because he made sure to leave as much distance from his sister. Probably so he wouldn't get interrogated like I was being.

"Um, no," I said. "It was fine."

At least, he didn't give me the kind of trouble she was picturing. Just made my head and heart more confused than ever.

"Did you get to see what he bought? I suspect it's a gift for me."

I smiled at her sly attempt. "You're not supposed to know. And besides, I thought you hated celebrating your birthday."

"True," she tilted her head, "but I like gifts."

I nudged her in the ribs. "Well, you'll have to wait for that."

She pretended to pout and said, "Knowing my brother, it's probably something that I've dearly wanted. He may hate shopping, but he can sure bring wonderful gifts. It's odd, though."

"Why is that?"

Her brown eyes focused on her brother's back, his heavy black cloak sweeping behind him. The passing servants bowed, and some moved out of his way, but he only acknowledged them with a simple incline of his head. He was the spitting image of a great shadow strolling through the halls, some invisible force weighing on his shoulders whether he was aware of it or not.

Lis didn't bother to hide the sorrow in her expression. "After my mother died, he never went himself to buy gifts or any other things, for that matter. He always ordered the servants to do it, so it's odd to see him like this. Though, I must say it's relieving."

I wasn't sure if I should mention it, but I said, "Yeah, he told me about Queen Isobel and what happened to her. I'm sorry for your loss. It must have been horrible."

"Yes, well -" she stopped suddenly, wide eyes blinking at me. "Wait, he told you? About Mother, and Evine?"

I nodded.

She blew out a breath, tucking loose hairs behind her ear. "That's strange. He never spoke about it to anyone. I mean, we all knew, and we've tried to urge him to speak about it. But he never did."