✔Chapter Twenty Nine: A Clash of Wind

"This isn't working!" I threw my arms out in frustration, the pathetic shield of fire faltering.

"You need to be more patient, solidify your mind, and it will," Aramis advised, pressing his folded arms tightly to his chest.

We've been at this for two days, trying to keep the shield up, to not let anything through.

My head was hurting as much as my aching limbs did. Perhaps I shouldn't be training directly after work? It had absorbed all the energy out of me that I sometimes blacked out at night without even washing.

I thanked whatever gods were listening for the king's absence in my bedroom these past two days, for my appearance was far from presentable. Not to mention, I had no wisp of energy left.

I heard a snort coming from behind me, which only intensified my annoyance. "Mind your own business," I told her, my tone venomous.

That only resulted in her laughing. "I can't help how utterly miserable you look," she heaved the basket of dead plants in her hands, moving to hover at my side. "It's amusing me in my forsaken state."

"Glad I could get a laugh out of you," I smiled at her, though my smile was nothing sweet. "But perhaps you should learn to keep your amusement to yourself."

Those ethereal white-silver eyes gleamed with a challenge, and her mouth curled up in a smirk. "Perhaps you should make me?"

The air around us seemed to thicken; was it her magic or the growing tension? I did not know. And I did not care.

I would happily burn that smirk right off her face.

A pointed cough cut the silent fight between us. "Easy, you two," King Calix warned, though his eyes remained on the canvas before him, stroking it lightly with his brush. "We don't want to ruin the garden now."

Elsie grinned and bowed her head. "Of course not, Your Majesty," she then winked at me. "Keep practicing."

I pursued my lips, watching her hum and go back to cleaning the garden. She didn't seem all that bothered with it, unlike the first time she came down here.

That was a lovely sight to watch, her cursing and huffing every time she bent to pick up torn-out roots or withered flowers. But now, she seemed to delight in her work -or more specifically, delight in watching my failings.

"You shouldn't fight amongst yourselves," Aramis said. "You're supposed to band together."

I scoffed. "She was the one who attacked me in the first place. And I don't see how we'll work together."

He shook his head, clearly disapproved. "You must, for you are the one to bind them all."

Without meaning to, a grimace escaped from me. "Yeah. I still don't get what's that about. Care to explain?"

His eyes rolled at my feline smile. "I don't know everything, mistress."

"You know a lot..."

"Still..." he sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "I'm not familiar with it, for the four of you never existed in the same time before. But I think it has to do with leading them, keeping them in order."

My stomach lurched at that, and my face twisted in dislike. "I'm not really fit for that. I can barely keep myself in order."

He looked as if he was searching for something in my face; a frown carved deeply on his mouth, then he shrugged. "Oh well, all in good time. Now," he clapped his hands together, "practice!"

I involuntarily groaned, straightening my back and closing my eyes.

***

Screw being a full Slifer!