✔Chapter Seventeen: Let Your Hair Down.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. I had spent most of it reading the book I bought from the fair and trying not to think further of Aramis' words. Each time I caught my thoughts drifting there, I groaned and buried my face in the book.

I just didn't understand how I would make the king sleep with me if he won't even look at me for five seconds? And I still had that short conversation-if I can even call it that-to dwell on. I remember standing there for a couple of minutes trying to register the fact that the king had said words to me that weren't insults, threats, or orders.

He actually thanked me-poorly if I may say-but he thanked me, nonetheless. And I honestly didn't know what to feel about that.

So I decided to cast away all these thoughts and shut my eyes until the next morning. I would worry about it after I had some decent sleep and fed my stomach well.

However, when the following morning came, I was whirled awake by the sound of the door as it burst open. I didn't even have time to comprehend what was going on. Luxus had fallen out of the bed with a loud shriek, and I had shoved my head out of the pillow I was drooling over.

My hair blocked my view, but I could hear the sound of high heels marching over the floor, then the curtains of the windows being slid open, streaming in the sun's blinding light that made me hiss and squint my eyes shut.

What the hell is going on? What time is it?

From the gaps of the strands that fell over my eyes, I could see that it was eight in the morning. And before I could even blink, the covers were pulled away from my body, and I sat up looking like a confused, slightly panicked animal, brushing my hair away.

"Rise and shine, beautiful! We've got a big day ahead of us!" a woman I recognized vaguely beamed at me as her eyes traveled over my appearance.

"Uh...what?" I managed to say groggily, trying to rub away the sleep from my eyes.

She didn't seem to notice my confusion. She just paced around the bed, looking around the room as if she was searching for something. I caught sight of Luxus climbing the sheets of the bed with his tail hung up. He edged closer to me and curled up at my side, still looking at the stranger woman.

She wasn't a maid, that's for sure. She dressed up all nice and had her long, bright pink hair in a side braid. She was the same woman whom I had seen when I fell down my balcony. But I didn't know her name, nor what in Ignolia was she doing here so early in the morning.

"Ah, there it is!" She seemed to have found what she was looking for, heading into my walk-in wardrobe. I saw her disappear in there, and in a few minutes, she came back with a gleaming smile. "I knew it! You don't have a dress. That will make my work easier."

"And what are you still in bed for? Come on, get up and wash that pretty face of yours." She motioned with her hands then tried to pull away the rest of the covers.

Luxus gave a protesting shriek when she yanked the blanket he folded himself in. I tilted my head, my mouth parted. "Um...I'm sorry. But...who are you?" This time, I sounded less sleepy and more confused than ever.

She laughed. "Ah, of course, how silly of me. My name is Lysa, and I'm the one who makes all the fabulous dresses here."

"So...you're a seamstress?" I found myself asking.

She scoffed, though it did not suit her beautiful face. "Oh, don't say that! That's such a medieval term. You sound just like Gabriel. I prefer the word 'designer.'"

"Sorry. But, um...I still don't know why you're here, though."

I didn't want to sound rude, and she didn't seem like she thought I was anyway. She clapped her hands together as if she was waiting for me to ask that, her face becoming even brighter if possible.