✔Chapter Thriteen: The Light In The Shadows

Later that night, when I got back from meeting that curious fellow Aramis Lester, I immediately retired back to my room and kept the book he gave to me glued to my nose

I was so consumed by it that the first thing I wanted to do when going back to the castle was to see what this book beheld. I was so fascinated with the various forms of the fire displayed in the pages, but some of them were too complex for me to understand.

There were hardly any words written in some pages, and others had instructions that I couldn't possibly do at my level of power now.

A part of me wondered if Aramis could really teach me all of this.

It looked complicated, to me at least. Not to mention, there were about four hundred pages to this book, so I wondered if Aramis could teach me all of this in time. And most of all, what if I couldn't do this?

What if I'm not capable of learning all of this magic? What if I'm not strong enough?

So many questions and thoughts piled up in my head, and I didn't know if I was happy about finding a way where I could still train or depressed at the idea of not being able to pull this off.

I groaned, closing the book, which made a rather loud thud. I looked at Luxus, who was sleeping peacefully, to make sure that the sound didn't wake him up, but he didn't even stir. It was just past nine in the evening, and my eyes wouldn't catch some sleep. In fact, I felt rather energetic.

"What to do, Lydia?" I mumbled to myself as I got off the bed and paced around the spacious room, looking for something to do in this never-ending boredom.

The bookshelf didn't have any exciting books. They were primarily historical books about the history of Imarnia and other kingdoms. I didn't feel like getting a history lesson at the moment, so I stayed far away from those books. Not to mention, I already learned enough in school.

There wasn't much to do anyway -in my room -and I didn't want to explore the castle since I had no idea where to go. And I also didn't want to run into the king anytime soon. I know it wasn't an answer to keep avoiding him, but I believe he avoided me more than I avoided him anyway.

I decided that instead of walking around my room aimlessly, I would check out the fair happening in the town. Gerard mentioned something about it, though I didn't bother to confirm for myself. And also, I didn't have money in my pocket then.

Seeing that Luxus was soundly asleep, I would leave him behind this time. Maybe I'll buy him something nice from the fair.

I changed from my night-gown to a black cardigan over a pale pink dress. It was very simple, but it was also one of the best dresses I owned-which weren't much. The skirt reached my knees, and I wore short black boots and stockings. I draped a cream-colored cloak over my shoulders, then braided my hair to the side and covered it with the hood. I didn't want people to keep staring at me like that other day.