✔Chapter Twelve: The Book of Decimus

I was taught, by my grandpa and the townspeople, not to talk to strangers -especially ones who claimed to know who you were, what you were, and offered you help

But this stranger was inquiring and bizarre in all the ways you could think of. I didn't know why, but something about him assured me.

So here I was, sitting with my legs crossed, next to a very wary Gerard on the cool grass underneath a big, stubborn tree. I kept myself busy with ripping the grass from its roots and watching the back of the stranger named Aramis as he hummed joyfully, digging through his brown bag for something.

And just minutes ago, he was yelling at us for stumbling over him.

However, after he introduced himself and spoke about making me strong, we didn't know what to say. We just stood there staring at him in complete silence that felt like years. And for a moment, I actually thought he meant to make me stronger by doing 'that,' but he explained to me that wasn't the case.

Though I was still confused by what he meant, and this was the reason why I agreed to listen to what he had to say -even though Gerard was strongly against it. This also explained why he was sitting beside me with his fists gripped tightly, ready for any unexpected attack in case Aramis decided to jump us and gouge our eyeballs.

I felt him leaning closer to me without taking his eyes off Aramis' glorious display of his backside. "Lydia, can you really trust this man?" he whispered cautiously

"I'm not sure," I huffed. "But I want to know what he has to say. I mean, don't you think it's curious?"

He just gave me a shrug, opening his mouth to say something else, but was cut off by Aramis. "If you don't like being here, then leave. My business is not with you. It's with the fire mistress."

He wasn't glancing his way, which made Gerard's handsome features twist in displeasure. He clearly, without doubt, didn't like Aramis' blank rudeness -or him in general.

"And leave her with you?" snarled Gerard, putting a secured arm around my shoulder. For a second, my body twitched, somehow getting uncomfortable with the spontaneous closeness he seemed to have with me. "I don't think so."

I heard Aramis scoff, and that ended their short argument.

It was another long moment before Aramis' victory cry startled the both of us. "Ha!" he pulled out a large book from his bag, raising it above his head. The book looked heavy, and I wondered how he could lift it despite his small form.

He turned to face us with a broad grin; the book huddled underneath his arm. "And I thought I had forgotten it. That would have been embarrassing."

Aramis waddled a few steps towards us, throwing himself on the grass and sitting cross-legged. He smoothed his short fingers over the surface of the book before he placed it on the ground.