Chapter 6

I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing. I glanced over at Jane, but she was still sleeping. I stood up and quietly walked out of her room before answering it.

   "Hello?" I almost whispered.

   "Blair, where the hell are you?" Came Emma's annoyed reply.

   'Shit, her car.'

   "Uh-Uh..." Nothing, my mind went completely blank.

   She sighed. "Janes?"

   I lowered my head. "It's not what you thin-"

   She scoffed. "Gimme a break. I'm not as dumb as I look, Blair."

   "I know, I'm sorry-"

   "Really, Blair? You can't keep doing this, she's married..."

As she continued to ramble on, I felt the anger start to build again.

'What would she know? She sleeps around with guys just for shits and giggles. I actually have feelings for Jane.'

"Blair? Are you listening to me?"

"No."

   'Did I say that out loud?' I thought.

"I'm sorry?"

"No, Emma, I'm not."

   'Welp, no stopping me now.'

"I like Jane, a lot, and I've decided I don't care anymore. Trying to live without her is killing me... can't you see that..?"

Emma went quiet.

"Emma?"

She sighed. "I need my car back." Was all she said before hanging up.

I lowered my phone and hung my head.

"You ok?"

I turned quickly, only to see Jane standing in the doorway.

"Jane... sorry to wake you."

She walked up and took my hand before leading me to the couch.

We sat next to each other. "Everything ok?" She asked.

   I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead. "I don't know..."

   She rubbed my back. "Tell me what's on your mind."

   I sighed. "It's Emma, she doesn't want me seeing you."

   Jane leaned back. "Oh."

   I took her hand in mine. "But, I want to... I've never had feelings like this for anyone... and I don't want to lose that."

   She rubbed my hand with her thumb. "I know, I don't either... but, this whole thing is so complicated."

   I lowered my head. "Tell me about it..."

   She raised my chin with her finger so I was facing her. "But, I wanna make it work. You're an amazing girl, one in a million, and I don't think I'll ever find someone like you again."

   I leaned in and gave her a soft kiss. "Thank you."

   She smiled and wrapped her arm around my shoulder, I rested my head on hers.

   We stayed like that for a few minutes, but I decided I needed to go, or I'd stay here forever.

   I let out a long breath. "I should get going."

   She kissed my forehead before standing up.

   I followed her to the front door.

   "When will I be hearing from you again?" She asked.

   I smiled. "Gimme your phone."

   She returned it before handing me her phone. I put my number in her contacts and added a little heart to my name before handing it back. "There. Don't hesitate to call." I said.

   She gave me a quick kiss before waving me off.

   I got in Emma's car, but before I could start it, I caught the eye of a familiar girl.

   Janes stepdaughter and her friend stood a few feet away on the sidewalk, staring me down.

   I quickly started the car and drove off. 'Shit. What'd she see?'

   My mind raced all the way to Emma's house. I was able to calm my mind enough to knock on the door.

   Emma opened it.

   "Hey." I greeted.

   She avoided making eye contact. "Need a ride home?"

   I looked down. "Yeah, thanks."

   After a quiet ride, we came to a stop in front of my house. I started to get out, but decided I wanted to talk to Emma first.

   I took in a tight breath. "Look-"

   "I already know what you're gonna say and like you said, I don't care. Do whatever makes you happy." She cut off, still avoiding eye contact.

   I could tell she wasn't happy with me and didn't agree with what I was doing. But, I decided not to push her.

   I finally got out. "Thanks for the ride."

   She just nodded before driving off.

   I slowly made my way inside and up to my room.

   I collapsed on the bed, my mind racing once again. 'I finally get to be with Jane, but now Emma's mad at me. Not to mention what her stepdaughter might have seen.' I exhaled and rubbed my forehead. 'Why do I have to pick between love and friendship?'

   I sat up quickly, my thoughts finally catching up with me. 'Love? Do I love Jane? No way, you've only known her for a few weeks.' I laid back down. 'People can't fall in love that quickly... can they?'

   I closed my eyes and rubbed them.

   Before my mind could tear itself apart any further, my phone went off. I pulled it out and saw Janes name flashing on the screen.

   I couldn't contain the happy feeling that was starting to form in my gut. "Hello." I answered.

   "Hey, is it to soon to call? I forget how that works."

   I laughed a little. "Of course not, you can call me anytime."

   She laughed as well. "Don't tempt me."

   I ended up talking to Jane late into the night. We talked about everything, embarrassing childhood stories, celebrity crushes and even her husband.

   "... I don't know, he's just not himself anymore." She said.

   "What do you mean?"

   She sighed. "When I married him, he was so full of life. Always smiling, couldn't keep his hands off me... but, now it's like I don't even exist, like I'm just background noise."

   I could feel myself getting mad. Not at Jane, but at the fact that he would treat her that way. How could he not be happy with someone as beautiful as Jane? She was perfect in every way.

   "Sorry, I'm probably boring you." She said.

   "Not at all, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that someone as beautiful as you could be ignored. That someone could grow tired of you. I just don't understand it."

   She let out a slight giggle. "If only I could've met you a couple years earlier."

   I sighed internally. Everything would be perfect if I would've met her earlier. I wouldn't have to hide my feelings, I wouldn't have to deal with husbands and stepdaughters and most of all, I wouldn't have to hurt Emma.

   I know she was only looking out for me, but I couldn't help it. Jane had a spell on me that I couldn't break, a spell that I don't think I wanted to break.

   And the more I thought about it, the more sense it started to make.

   That spell was called love...