Chapter 8

Alice slid down the hallway and knocked on Shane's half open bedroom door. "Shane? I don't want to see anything I shouldn't..."

"It's okay, I'm not naked!" Shane called back.

Alice pushed open the door and walked in to find Shane sitting cross legged on his bed, smiling like an idiot. He was wearing a massive, yellow Sponge bob t- shirt. 

"Nice shirt" Alice grinned, and plopped down on the camp bed. "I like yours too" Shane laughed.

Alice plucked at the massive, black shirt. "Do you like Nirvana?" Shane asked.

"Yeah, they're one of my favorite bands" Alice replied. "Do you?"

"Nah, I'm more into shitty nineties pop music" Shane laughed. "Yikes..." Alice groaned, then laughed.

She reached over to Shane's bed and grabbed  pillow. She laid it down on the camp bed and wrapped a big fluffy blanket around herself "So, what kinda drugs is Jerid into?" she asked casually.

Shane rolled his eyes. "Don't worry,  he's not into anything dangerous, just weed, it's a miracle mom hasn't found out by now" he replied.

"He used to be so nice and funny, but now he's just a douche, he never used to be like this until dad left" Shane said sadly.

Alice bit her lip. Suddenly she lept up from the camp bed and wrapped Shane in a big hug. The hugged for a few moments, then broke apart. They smiled at each other and Alice made herself comfortable next to Shane.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked. "Your dad, I mean"

Shane ducked his head and took a deep breath, "He left us when I was younger, and he used to hit me too" he said quietly. Alice put an arm over Shane's shoulder sympathetically.

"Oh Shane, I'm sorry, that really sucks" she said. "But if it makes you feel better, I can remember being pretty miserable too".

Shane looked up at her. "This chick Amy used to call me names every day and my mom used to hit me every night" she said slowly. Shane stared at Alice, as if seeing her in a whole new light.

"She was an alcoholic" Alice said.

"So was my dad" Shane added.

Alice nodded. "Well, we have that in common" she yawned.

Shane ran his fingers through his curly fringe. "Tell me about Amy" he said.

Alice took a deep breath. "Uh, well, she basically made my life hell" she laughed shakily. "She called me really mean names, and just gave me a bad name".

Shane patted her on the back awkwardly. "Do you get teased much?" Alice asked.

"Uh, not as much now that I've made a few friends, but it used to be really bad" he explained. Alice nodded understandingly.

"That's good, but Shane, if anyone says anything to you, I'ma  f*ck  their asses up!" she said, in a ghetto voice.

Shane laughed, and Alice stared at him. Really stared at him.

He looked pretty much the same as he did in the future, except for being overweight. Same voice and features. Shane glanced over at his alarm clock.

"Wow, it's nearly eleven o' clock, I'm gonna go to bed Alice, goodnight" Shane announced, uncrossing his legs and getting under the bedsheets. Alice laughed.

"What?" Shane asked, laughing as well. "Nothing, it's just... you look like a little baby with the covers pulled up to your nose!" she giggled.

Shane laughed. "Girl, you betta gimme my milk, b*tch!" he shouted in a ghetto lisp.