Chapter 5

Alice's heart skipped a beat.  She put her hand on her forehead and took a deep breath. Oh my god, did he see me? Alice wondered anxiously.  Alice immediately bent down below the front window and crouched down on her knees. After a minute or two she calmed herself down and took a deep breath. She stood up shakily and pressed her nose against the window. Despite being overweight and having big, curly hair, it was undoubtedly Shane Dawson.

He had his back to Alice now, and was trying to get the girl behind the counter's attention. Alice swiftly walked past the window of the Taco Bell and slipped into the alleyway. The sky was completely black, but the street was lit up with artificial lights. Alice blinked and leaned back on the cold brick wall and tried to gather her thoughts. 

Okay, she thought. So, apparently I've managed to transport myself back to a time where Shane Dawson is  my age and severely overweight....what the f*ck???

Alice pinched her skinny arm, to make sure she wasn't dreaming. She ran her fingers through her hair in disbelief.

Come on Alice, wake up! she told herself.

 She lifted up her wrist to check her watch. She froze. Wait a minute, where the hell is my watch? Alice panicked. She hastily looked over to her left on the the pavement, outside the Taco Bell, the place she woke up. The pavement was bare.

"Where's my duffel bag?" Alice wondered aloud.

She fished around in her jean pockets. Nothing, except lint. She sighed and and stared down at her shoes. She peered into a puddle and studied her reflection

Her blue eyes were wide, her skin deathly pale, and her black hair stood up at every angle, like a birds nest. Alice peeked over through the Taco Bell window. Shane was still pacing in the waiting line. Without thinking, Alice stepped out from the alleyway and pushed open the door of the Taco Bell.

A bell above the door tinkled, making Alice jump. Shane glanced over in her direction and smiled awkwardly. Alice felt like her heart might jump out of her chest. Her mouth was dry as she walked  over and stood in line behind him. Shane glimpsed at Alice over his shoulder, and nodded shyly. Alice found herself gazing up at him, in awe.

Finally, the teenage girl behind the counter looked up from her phone and lifted a heavily outlined eyebrow at Shane. She sighed, plucked her gum from her mouth with long, manicured nails and stuck it behind her ear. She was Hispanic, and had lilac colored highlights and lots of eyeshadow and eyeliner on. Alice squinted to read her name tag. 

Hello, my name is Kiwi Lupe.

Wait a minute, Alice thought. She sounds like one of Shane's characters, but her thoughts were cut off by the girl's loud, obnoxious voice.

"Hello, welcome to Taco Bell, may I take your order?" she drawled.

"Um hi" Shane stuttered. "Can I get two seven layer burritos, two crunchy tacos, three diet cokes, and two sides of hot sauce please?" he asked shyly.

Kiwi's eyebrow went up even higher. "Big party?" she asked. 

Shane ducked his head. "Um...".

Suddenly, Alice spoke up. "No, it's for me too" she announced. Shane looked down at her in surprise. Alice grinned shyly. 

 Kiwi looked at Alice's flawless complexion and her tall willowy figure and jealousy glimmered in her eyes. She pulled out the gum from behind her ear and popped it in her mouth. "Yeah, I'll get right on it" she snapped and strolled into the backroom.

Alice looked up at Shane again. "Hi Sh- uh, I mean hi, I'm Alice" she blushed. Shane smiled at her. "Hey, I'm Shane, and thanks for...saying that" he said sheepishly. "No problem" Alice grinned. They both beamed at each other for a few moments but were interrupted by Kiwi again.

"What soda you want?" she asked obnoxiously.

Shane and Alice looket over at her, as she stood behind the counter arms crossed, still chomping on her gum.

 "I'm sorry?" Shane asked.

You order two burritos, you get a free soda, so what soda do you want?" she said sulkily.

"Oh" Shane replied. "Uh, what do you want?" he asked Alice.

"Um, alright, I'll have a Diet Snapple" Alice replied.

Kiwi looked Alice up and down again. "Sure" she declaimed sourly, and stalked off to the backroom.

Alice looked over at Shane and raised her eyebrow. Shane started laughing and Alice couldn't help giggling. After a minute or two, Kiwi returned with the food. "Twelve dollars, eighty five cents" she announced. Shane handed her the money and she handed him the food. "Enjoy" she hissed and stalked off.

"Damn, someone's time of the month" Shane muttered. He looked over at Alice. "Um, she probably won't be coming back anytime soon, were you planning on getting anything?" he asked her. Alice shook her head. "Alright, well do you want to have one of my tacos?"

"No thanks, I don't eat meat" Alice responded.

"Oh!" said Shane, pretending to be offended. "Looks like we've got ourselves a vegemetarian over here!" 

Alice laughed and Shane handed her her Diet Snapple with a smile. "Thanks" Alice said, cracking it open and grabbing three packets of Splenda from a nearby table. She ripped them open and tipped them into the bottle. Then, she screwed on the cap of the Snapple and started shaking it madly, up and down with two hands.

"Oh yeah girl, faster, yeah longer strokes!" Shane shouted. 

Alice burst out laughing and nearly dropped the bottle. She and Shane were doubled over in stitches, and Alice noticed Kiwi standing at the counter, shooting her a frosty look. 

"Maybe we should go" Alice spluttered. "Yeah" Shane smiled in agreement, and they made for the door. Alice pushed the door open, and with the tinkling of the bell above their heads, they walked out  of the Taco Bell.