Chapter 4 (Part One)

"What?..." Alice whispered.

"I said get out!" Alice's mother roared, raising her hand again. Alice dodged the slap and ran out of the living room. As she ran down the hallway she heard her mother thundering about behind her. She ran into her room, closed the door and locked it. She heard her mother slam against the door and yell all sort of things. Things daughters aren't supposed to hear.

Alice didn't waste any time. She grabbed an old duffel bag and started flinging her possessions inside. The money she'd saved that Mark had given her, clothes, toothpaste, a toothbrush, soap, deoderant, a hair brush, earphones, her phone and it's charger. She noticed her laptop underneath her bed and shoved it into the bag as well, along with it's charger. She changed into new clothes, throwing her pyjamas onto her unmade bed. Then she took a deep breath, unlocked her door, but before she opened it, she took one last look at her bedroom. Posters of her favourite bands covered the walls, her old clothes and empty wrappers littered the carpet floor. Her desk was covered in books, pens and pencils. And her bed, which was one of the places she felt the happiest. 

All the hours she'd spent on the internet, watching Shane Dawson videos. Videos that made her laugh, videos that made her cry, videos that kept her sane. And chatting to people she'd probably never meet, people who felt as connected to You Tubers as she did. The people she called her friends. She also found great peace in sleeping, and thought it magical how you could just switch off and escape life for a few hours. Alice closed her eyes for a moment, then stepped into the hallway. Her mother was nowhere to be seen, but she could hear the smashing and breaking of glass in the kitchen. She walked in and found her mother frantically searching through jars and cupboards. 

"Looking for something?" she asked casually, slinging her duffel bag over her shoulder.

Alice's mother glanced over in her direction. "I thought I told you to get out" she panted, pulling over a chair and hoisting her fat body up on it to reach an old jar. She pulled it down and set it on the kitchen table. She shoved her hand inside and fished out a twenty dollar note. "Yes!" she exclaimed, waving the note in Alice's face.

"Good for you" Alice said wearily. What had her mother become? She tried to remember what things had been like before her dad left, but couldn't. It seemed like things have always been the same. Angry, spiteful words, slaps, tears and sadness had always been a part of her life. Not for long, Alice thought excitedly.

"So, I'm finally leaving mom...do you have anything to say to me?" Alice asked. Alice's mother jerked her head up from the twenty dollars and stared at Alice. "You're not leaving just yet" she said.

"Wait, what?" Alice stammered. "You were screaming at me to leave five minutes ago!".

"Oh no" her mother hissed. "First, you're going to give me the money Mark gave you".

"No way!" Alice cried. "I earned that money, you must be crazy to think I'd give it to you!" 

Alice's mother blinked and suddenly made a dive for Alice's bag. "Give it to me!" she shrieked, clawing at Alice's shoulder madly.  "Get off me!" she screamed.

Alice escaped from her grasp and made a bolt for the front door, her mother chasing after her. Alice threw open the door and lept outside. Then, she turned to face her mother.

"Get your f*cking hands off me" she snapped and slammed the door behind her.

She darted down the driveway and broke into a run, her sneakers pounding the pavement. After a few minutes, she slowed down and sat down on the hard concrete and began to cry. Hot tears poured down her cheeks and onto her lap.

What the hell do I do now? she thought helplessly.