Chapter 17

Alice's mouth was dry as she stared into Connor's eyes. Her own eyes were wide and she finally spoke.

"I... I was going through a tough time when I did those" she managed to stammer.

Connor expression was heartbroken and confused, and Alice stared at him, her heart heavy.

"But...why?" he whispered.

Alice swallowed.

"I guess it was just a release from all the bullshit" said Alice. When Connor didn't say anything, Alice continued.

"I wanted something other to worry about other than school and bullying and my mom. I needed something to make my own problems seem smaller" she said with a small shrug.

Connor finally seemed to find his voice.

"I still can't believe a girl as beautiful as you could go through something so horrible and still be so sweet and happy".

Alice looked up at him, her eyes watery.

"Thank you" she whispered, her voice cracking.

Connor gave a small, sad smile.

He kissed her scars one more time, and to Alice's surprise, pulled up his left sleeve to reveal a series of horrible looking cuts and burns.

They ran all the way from his upper wrist, all the way up his arm.

"From back when I was with my mom and dad" he confessed.

Alice's hand flew up to her mouth to hide her gasp and shocked expression.

Connor hung his head and Alice spread her arms and smothered him in a huge hug.

They held onto each other for what felt like hours, days, and finally let go.

They both stared into each other's eyes, and a tear slipped down Connor's cheek.

"Never do that to yourself again, okay?" he choked out, and Alice felt herself getting unbearably emotional.

She choked out a sob and kissed Connor's cheek passionately, holding his face in her hands.

"Never" she whispered in his ear, and Alice laid down on Connor's chest.

They both lay there on the airplane seat for a few minutes until Connor spoke up.

"What time is it?" he asked and Alice sat up, wiping her face with the back of her sweater sleeve.

"Uh, It's 11:11 pm"

Connor.smiled. "Make a wish" he grinned.

Alice smiled, and squeezed her eyes shut for a few moments, then opened them again.

Alice had to giggle when she saw Connor looking like a six year old with constipation.

He opened his eyes looking surprised and slightly amused.

Alice's giggles died down and she stared at Connor thoughtfully.

She suddenly reached over and quickly gave him another kiss on the cheek.

"One for good luck" she said with a smile, making Connor grin.

She suddenly remembered Jerid and turned around in her seat to see him sitting across from them, slouched in his seat, black glasses lopsided and loud snores.erupting from his open mouth.

She laughed softly and turned around to face Connor again.

She reached behind him and pulled up the airplane window cover to look outside.