Chapter 10

The image above can be found here: http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-white-sneakers-for-women.html

 Two months pass by quickly between getting the nursery ready, finding a pediatrician, going to doctor's appointments, purchasing baby equipment, and falling into a new routine. It's March now, springtime is here and flowers are starting to bloom. Diane steps intoJoy's room to feed her. Joy is full ofsmiles and gurgling noises, and she can even keep her head up.     

 Diane stares at theprecious being in her arms with a shining glow in her eyes. "Joy, I love you. You are our little wonderful bean." 

Diane tickles Joy, which enlistslittle flutters of giggles from her. Diane sits in the rocking chair with Joyin her arms. Diane looks down at Joy and smiles. "Can I have a serious talkwith you?" Joy blinks, and babbles inaudibly.

Diane laughs, smiles and says, "I miss treating my patients and the procedures I do to help them. I miss walking around in the hospital in my purple scrubs and white tennis shoes (Image above, chapter cover image)."

Joy's hazel eyesfocus on her mother. Diane's eyes focus on the baby as if she is trying to tellher something. "Joy, do you think it would be ok if I went back to work?" 

Diane looks at Joy "Oh that's right, you are a two month old baby. You can't talk yet. How about this. Blink once for yes mommy can go back to work,and blink twice for no mommy can't goback to work."

Diane is slightly serious, slightly not but it's as if Joy's answer is the deciding factor. Joy blinks her beautiful, round eyes once and Diane hugs her baby. Diane smiles and says, "I can help you with a bright future. I can help you with making your dreams become a reality, like my mother did for me." Diane spends the rest of March looking for daycare facilities near the hospital.