Chapter 8

Image above came from https://www.lahondaworld.com/inventory/new-2018-honda-civic-hatchback-sport-touring-fwd-hatchback-shhfk7h93ju411541.

After spending two days at the hospital resting, Diane is finally able to go home with baby Joy. Aaron puts the hazel eyed baby Joy in the grey car seat that Charlotte got her. Diane settles in the passenger seat of Aaron's silver Honda Civic (Cover Image, Image above). 

Aaron smiles at the two beautiful girls in his life before getting in the driver's seat. Diane relaxes and says, "Aaron, did you make arrangements for Maggie and my car? I just was thinking about that."

 Aaron stops at a traffic light and says "Leo took the car home yesterday, and I will be picking Maggie up from Charlotte's tomorrow."

 Diane nods, but no words leave her mouth for a moment. Diane's eyes close and then open again "Honey, we should probably talk about maternity leave and what's going to happen after it." 

Aaron turns into their driveway and pulls into the garage. He turns off the car and says "I know, let's put Joy in her crib and we can talk about it in the living room." 

Diane gets out of the car and unbuckles Joy and takes her out of her car seat. Diane walks from the family room up the stairs to her and Aaron's bedroom. Diane places Joy in an oak wood crib with aqua fish on it. 

She tucks Joy in the aqua blanket and then turns the baby monitor on. Diane is about to leave the room, but she looks over at Joy, smiles and then turns the lights off. 

 Diane goes downstairsto the navy blue living room, where Aaron is waiting on the couch. Diane sitsnext to Aaron and says, "Aaron, I received an email from Thomas that had a formabout maternity leave in it. I have two weeks to fill it out and I can take anoptional third month if needed."

 Aaron nods and asks, "What are you thinking ofdoing? Do you feel comfortable going back after two months or do you think we need the optional third month? I personally think, you should take the optionalthird month."

Diane recalls thestress that she has had during the pregnancy, the pressure she puts on herself,and how hard she works. "Aaron, I don't really know. Why do you think I shouldtake the offer of the third month of maternity leave?"

 Aaron pauses, carefully thinking of an answer, "You work so hard and you never really cut yourself someslack. You focus so much on the care for others that sometimes you forget totake care of yourself. I think you could you use that time, to give yourselfthat break you need." 

Diane considers Aaron's words but he continues, "I also think, it would be good for Joy because you can monitor health changes and get the baby a proper pediatrician. We can have time to decorate Joy's room, and make sure that she is registered for daycare. I just think three months helps you take care of yourself and our baby at a good pace. Instead of rushing to get things done, you would have three months." 

Diane understands what Aaron is saying. His words are a powerful force driving through her brain.

 Diane yawns and thensays, "I think you're right. I think Ishould take that optional third month. I feel like it would be better for Joy and myself. I wanted to also talk to about what I am going to do after mymaternity leave ends."

 Diane looks at Aaron,waiting. Aaron takes both of his hands and runs them on his closed eyes. Aaronlets out a sigh with exasperation. "Diane, you already know how I feel aboutthis matter. I just want you to be happy and make a decision. My opinion isthat you need to learn to stop putting so much pressure on yourself. I knowthat you can do both, a career and being a mother." 

A few minutes pass beforeDiane says, "What do you suggest I do?" Aaron's eyes melt as Diane'svulnerability comes out. Diane is a strong person who doesn't always show hervulnerability.    

Aaron says, "Diane, you have a lot of time to decide this. I suggest you fill out the maternity leave form and hand it in on Monday, like you were planning to do." Diane looks at Aaron and knows that he's right. 

Diane and Aaron spend the rest of the day planning for what Joy's nursery will look like.