Chapter 25

Authors note: sorry for the delay. Im not entirely happy with this chapter.

After deciding to stay a few extra days, they'd finally returned home on the Thursday afternoon, allowing Jane time to catch up on work without officially been back in until the following Monday; Jane had made an official offer on the cabin and was awaiting acceptance.

Wanting a chance to have some alone time, as promised to Jane, Lisbon took a couple of hours out on Friday morning to get her hair done; with her bangs back in neatly, and her hair rid of the dead ends and highlight touched up, she walked out of the salon feeling much better. Not quite ready to head home, she decided to stop at the local mall, grab a coffee and do some shopping; like with Jane, she worked for so long that, even with having taken time off early in the pregnancy and maternity leave, she hadn't had a vacation in so long that her money had saved up each month. This meant she didn't feel guilty about splashing out occasionally; if anything, she felt guilty for wanting some time to herself.

Browsing through the baby store, she picked up a few items for her daughter, several items of clothing, a stuffed bear and some essentials such as diapers, milk and pacifiers; after paying for her items, she continued browsing, stopping to pick up a pair of new boots and leather jacket for herself and a few cosmetic essentials before deciding to head back to the car. Walking towards the pay meter, she saw the perfect present for Jane; it was expensive but after everything he had done for her, and Matilda, she figured he was worth it. Getting into the car, bags on the passenger seat, she called Jane on the hands free as she drove.

"Hey, you done?" He asked.

"On the way home, stopped off to get a few bits; how's our girl doing?"

"Asleep; we had lots of fun"

"I missed her, and you; I'll be home soon"

"Take care driving, it's gonna storm soon"

"I love you"

"You too, get home safe"

Hanging up, she took care driving as the first few raindrops fell; as it got heavier, she turned the wipers on, as much as she tried, her vision became impaired and as a set of headlights blinded her, she swerved to avoid the oncoming vehicle but failed to see the fence coming up.

Blacking out, she woke up in a hospital bed, surrounded by a doctor, nurse and Jane; groaning, she noticed her arm was in a black brace and her ribs were sore but nothing else seemed too bad.

"Miss Lisbon, nice to see you awake; how you feeling?" The dark haired doctor asked.

"Sore, how long was I out?"

"The EMTs said you were alert in the ambulance; you had a nasty knock to your right wrist and your ribs but some rest will help, a minor bump to your head but you were lucky it was a wooden fence you hit and nothing concrete. Your partner can take you home when you're ready; just take regular pain killers and rest"

"Thank you"

As the doctor and nurse left the room, Jane sat on the edge of the bed and took her hand.

"Hey, you scared me" he said.

"Sorry, I didn't see it"

"It wasn't your fault, let's get you home"

"Where's Matilda?" She asked as he helped her off the bed and into her jacket.

"With Grace in the waiting room"

An hour later, she was laid in their bed, Matilda in her arms as she kissed her forehead; looking up, she saw Jane entering the room with a tray of drinks and food.

"Where's the car?" She asked as he sat next to her.

"Been towed here as we speak; I left the bags downstairs. The EMTs got them out with you"

"I brought you a present" she murmered, shifting her daughter in her arms.

"Hey, don't worry about it; it can wait until you feel better. Your hair looks good" he smiled, trying to lighten the mood as he took Matilda so she could drink her coffee.

"I shouldn't have took so long shopping; I should've come straight home. I knew there was a storm coming; I should have stayed home" she said, tears filling her eyes as the shock finally set in.

"Hey, Teresa, it wasn't your fault" he said, putting her drink on the side and holding her as close as he could to himself and Matilda. "You've had a nasty shock to the system; try and get some sleep. I'll wake you in a couple of hours; we'll have some dinner and get an early night"

"Hold me, don't let go"

"Let me settle Matilda and I'll be right back"

In less than a minute, he was back, holding her as close as he possibly could; a hand rubbing her shaking back as she cried into his shoulder. When she was finally asleep, he carefully laid her head on the pillow and quietly moved to the window, looking at the beaten up car in the driveway; as the doctor said, Lisbon was very lucky not to be badly hurt, the car could be mended and her ribs and wrist would heal but she couldn't be replaced.