Chapter 17

By the time Friday rolled around, they'd got a proper routine going with Matilda; Jane was brilliant with the young new born and Lisbon loved seeing this side to him. They'd both stuck to their guns and stayed away from the CBI building with Jane only consulting on the case once by phone; throughout Friday afternoon, they both prepared the food they would be eating that evening whilst Matilda slept. Coming out of the en-suite just before their colleague and friends are due to arrive, dressed in a simple top and jeans, she found Jane sat in the armchair in the corner, rocking their daughter to sleep.

"Have i told you how much i love you lately?" She asked, perching on the arm of the chair.

"I have an idea"

"Want me to take over while you get ready?"

"I'm okay; you look nice" he said, looking up at her.

"It's nothing special; I actually had time to look presentable" she shrugged. 

"Well, how about I settle Matilda and then we can have a little time alone?"

"As much as I'd love that, the guys will be here any minute"

As soon as the words left her mouth, the doorbell rang; with Matilda now safely in her arms, she followed Jane out to the front door to let them in. With the exception of Grace, neither Rigsby or Cho had met the new arrival properly, only a brief glimpse at the hospital, so Lisbon had wanted them to meet her before putting her down whilst they are.

"Hey guys" she smiled, genuinely happy to see them. "This is Matilda"

"She's beautiful boss" Rigsby and Grace said whilst Cho remained his usual reserved self.

"Thanks, I'm just gonna put her down and Jane will get you some drinks"

As Lisbon disappeared, Grace followed her into the bedroom.

"How's it going boss?" She asked, knowing how tough the pregnancy had been for her.

"Hard work" she admitted, standing up from settling Matilda and looking at her colleague. "But rewarding; the minute she was in my arms, it felt right. I still have my moments, trust me, and I know I'm not going to be perfect but she makes me realise that I was missing something before, I just didn't realise what it was"

"You and Jane look happy"

"We are; don't get me wrong. He can be a pain in the ass but he's been amazing" she smiled.

As they rejoined the rest of the team, the conversation flowed easily and the food was eaten; they were just about to see them leave when Matilda awoke crying.

"I'll go; it was good to see you guys" Jane said before disappearing into the bedroom.

With the guys gone, Teresa found Jane in the nursery, changing Matilda; grabbing a diaper, she passed it to him as he deposited the dirty one into the diaper disposal.

"Thank you for tonight" she said, waiting for him to finish and lifting her into his arms.

"Anytime, you should get some sleep; you're exhausted"

"I'm fine; I would, however, like some of that alone time you were on about earlier"

"Deal, you get changed and I'll feed this one"

"Night princess" she whispered, kissing Matilda on the forehead.

Six weeks later, Jane had finally persuaded Lisbon to let Grace babysit for a few hours whilst he took her out; although they'd been together everyday since finding out she was pregnant seven and half months earlier, her fluctuating emotions throughout her pregnancy had meant they hadn't even had an official first date. It had taken some persuasion but he had finally succeeded; with only the information he was taking her for dinner to a semi-formal restaurant, Lisbon had opted for black slacks and a fancy top with her signature black leather jacket. Kissing Matilda, he took her hand and led her out, knowing she was having second thoughts of leaving their seven week old daughter.

"Ready for this?" He asked as they sat in the car.

"I know we have to leave her at some point but..."

"She be fine with Grace; we need some proper alone time. We can skip the restaurant if you want? Can grab takeout and go back to my apartment" he offered.

"No, you've booked a table; let's get something to eat"

An hour and half later, their meal was eaten and they were back in their car.

"Wanna go home?" He asked.

"Can we go back to yours? Just for a little bit?"

"You sure?"

She nodded and looked out the window; opening the door to his tiny, one bedroomed and scarcely furnished apartment, he took her hand and kissed her softly.

"I don't have anything in to drink" he whispered, breaking away from the kiss.

"I'm not interested in a drink" she whispered back, leaning in to continue the kiss.

Brushing her hair behind her ear, Jane began kissing along her jawbone and down her neck; all the while, unbuttoning her slacks and pushing them down her legs. Leading her to the mattress in the corner of the room, he gently laid her down and pulled her took over her head, leaving her in just her black satin lace underwear; taking opportunity of his distractiveness, Lisbon flipped him over and took her time to undress him.

Lying in the bed a short while later, Lisbon rested her head on his shoulder as he pulled a blanket over them, his other hand running through her sweaty hair.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Perfect; we should get back though"

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" He asked as they drove back to her apartment, worried about her quietness.

"No, you didnt"

"So what's wrong?"

"I'm just tired"

"Lisbon, I know you better than anyone else; I know when you're lying and right now, something is bothering you and has been since we left mine"

"I'm just tired" she repeated.

Reaching the apartment, he watched as Lisbon went straight for the bedroom and shut the door; thanking Grace for babysitting, he showed her out before locking the door behind her and switching the lights off. Entering the bedroom, he found her already under the covers, curled in a ball and her eyes fixed firmly on her daughter, a hand holding hers.

"Can I get you anything?"

When she didn't reply, he slipped into the ensuite and washed up before kissing Matilda and sliding into the bed next to her; with a hand on her shoulder been shrugged off, he sighed and turned over, not bothering to try and get some sleep.

Authors note: I am so sorry for the lateness of the chapter and for how bad the chapter is; I am totally not happy with it at all and lost my focus half way through. Hopefully the next chapter will be a lot better. Let me know if there is anything you would like to see.