Chapter 6

It was nearly two in the morning when he finally climbed in behind her; recognising his smell, Lisbon shifted and curled into his body, feeling his soft lips on her forehead.

"Ssh, it's only me; go back to sleep" he whispered.

"Missed you"

"I know, go to sleep; we'll talk in the morning"

Several hours later, around seven, she was awoken by the feeling of nausea; taking a few deep breaths and a couple of sips of water, she wondered out the room and found Jane in the kitchen with a cup of tea.

"You should be resting" he said, putting the cup down and holding her close.

"The bed was cold"

"How you feeling?"

"Okay"

"Can i get you anything?"

"Drink?"

"Coming up; are you hungry?" He asked as he set about making her a mug of tea.

"Not really" she answered, taking a seat at her dining table.

"I dont have to be in the office unless there's a new case; what do you fancy doing today?" He asked, placing the mug in front of her as he sat on the chair next to her.

"Nothing...but that wont help; i dont have much energy at the minute"

"How about we have a day here? Watch movies and eat crap?" He suggested.

"I'd like that"

It was mid-afternoon by the time his cell started ringing; he glanced over at a sleeping Lisbon in his arms before answering the call.

"Grace"

"How's the boss?"

"She's fine; getting some much needed rest. We have a case?"

"No, just wondered if she wanted any company?"

"I'll ask her and let you know"

"Okay, bye Jane"

As he hung up and put his phone back on the arm of the couch, he noticed Lisbon beginning to stir, her arms stretching outwards before she turned and curled into him further, her eyes never opening once.

"Whatever happens, i'll always be here" he whispered, kissing her forehead.

"Love you" she murmured.

"I love you too Teresa Lisbon" he replied, knowing she probably wouldnt even remember saying it when she woke up.

He sat watching some mind-numbing documentary until he felt Lisbon shift again, slowly opening her eyes before lifting her head to look at him; he pushed her hair behind her ear and cupped her cheek as he leant in anf kissed her.

"Feel better?" He asked.

"Yeah; did i hear the phone?"

"Just Grace, seeing how you are; and if you fancied any company"

"I'm fine...but hungry"

"Let's get you some lunch then; wanna go out or stay in?"

"In" she answered, sitting up and following him into the kitchen.

In the twenty minutes that followed, Jane had managed to put together a simple but delicious pasta salad; they'd just finished up when he got the call about a new case. Reluctantly, he kissed Lisbon and headed to CBI; over the last few days, he had found it harder and harder to leave her to go to work but he kept to his promise and didnt make trouble. He and Cho had just got back from interviewing a family member when he received a text: 'meet me downstairs'; telling Cho to look into the boyfriend, he headed down and found Lisbon sat in her car outside the security gates.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, kissing her.

"Needed to get out the apartment; i'm on my way to get my hair done. Are you coming by after you're done?"

"Do you want me to? I'm not complaining but you've barely had any alone time"

"I want you there Jane; this...us, we still need to talk about it properly"

"Okay, if we get done at a sensible time then i'll come over but i dont want to disturb you again; you need to sleep"

"I havent been able to sleep since...since Red John; except when you've been staying the last couple of nights" she admitted.

"It's not healthy for either of you; i havent been able to get you out of my head since we admitted our feelings" he admitted.

"We make a good team" she smiled, before leaning in for a kiss.

"I wish i didnt have to go back in" he said, pulling away.

"But you do" she answered. "You have a case to solve"

"Meh, boyfriend did it; he's a chatter. Ten minutes into the interview and he'll give the game away"

"It's been 3 hours since you got the call; how can you possibly know that already?"

"From the crime scene; you go and get your hair done and i'll see you back at yours later"

"Okay"

"By the way, your hair looks beautiful...just like you" he said, kissing her again before leaving the car.

When she'd arrived back at her apartment two hours later, having stopped to window shop, she was greeted by the aroma of cooking happening in her kitchen and the sounds of Jane singing along to the radio; rounding the corner, she smiled as she saw him swaying to the music as he checked something in the oven.

"Hi" she said, softly.

He turned round and smiled; not only had she gotten some highlights in her long dark hair, she'd also opted for getting bangs also.

"You look amazing"

"You like it?" She asked, worried in case she'd gone too far.

"It suits you" he answered, moving to stand in front of her so he could kiss her, his hands cupping her cheeks. "You would still be beautiful if you shaved it all off"

"Not planning to but good to know"

"You hungry?" He asked, going back to the stove.

"Starved"

"Good, go and put your feet up; this wont be long"

"I'd rather stay here with you" she smiled, standing behind him and resting her head on his shoulder as her arms went round his waist.

By the time the food was consumed, Lisbon was starting to tire fast; after grabbing a quick shower, she climbed in the bed and snuggled against Jane, her head resting on his bare chest.

"You solved the case then?" She questionned.

"Told you i would; and i have good news. I persuaded Minelli that you needed someone to stay with you for a few days and that with the whole Red John thing coming to a close, i could do with a few days off; so...how do you feel about getting away for a few days?"

"Why would you do that? You never talk about your feelings to anyone but me; and even then i have to force you half the time so why now?" She asked, lifting her head to look at him.

"You come first; truthfully, i've had feelings for you since i met you but i couldnt do anything until he was gone. I didnt want to lose you too; i wouldnt have coped with it"

"But you still asked for time off"

"He wouldnt have said no; you said it yourself, i close cases, despite how...unorthodox my methods might be. He says no and i have no reason to stay; but he knows i wouldnt leave you"

"So...you put your feelings on the table for me?"

"That's what you do to me; so...where do you want to go?"