Chapter 12

By the time the four weeks were coming to a close, Lisbon had took a trip to see Tommy and Annie, spent some time with Jane and took the time to rest and follow her doctors orders; at sixteen weeks, her bump had started to show rather obviously, although she had yet to reveal her news to the rest of the team.

Days before she was due to make another decision, Jane had took her back to the cabin for three nights; he wanted her to be able to relax fully before making her decision. After leaving early to beat the traffic, they arrived at the cabin just after 10; with their belongings in the bedroom, they got a drink and sat on the beach out the back.

"Have i told you how beautiful you look today?" He asked.

"As if; I feel like a beached whale, wearing no make up and constantly exhausted"

"Still look beautiful" he said, wrapping an arm around her should so she could lean against him. "Have you decided what you're going to do?"

"I've enjoyed having the time off, not having to worry about watching what I say or do in the office"

"Question is, would you be happy on desk duty indefinitely?"

"Honestly, I don't know; would I be bored at home all the time? Probably but...at least I wouldn't be worrying about the job"

"I'll support you either way, I just don't want you making a decision you're going to regret in a couple of weeks; have you considered going part time? Still run the team but for a few days Cho can do it"

"Not practical if we get a huge case in the middle of it; besides, I don't know if I'd find it easy to step away mid-week" she admitted as she tucked her flying hair behind her ear.

"At least take the weekend to think about it; don't make a decision you're not 100% certain about"

"I promise" she vowed, looking at him. "Thank you for bringing me here again"

"Any time; I don't think I've ever seen you this relaxed before"

"I didn't have you taking care of me, did I?" She smiled.

"This is true; I'm gonna get you food"

"I'm not hungry"

"You will be in around sixty seconds" he grinned, kissing her forehead before standing up.

Holding out his hand, he helped her up and led her inside the cabin; happily, she sat up to the table and waited as he made a simple sandwich and placed it in front of her.

"What's this?"

"My speciality" he said, pulling her up so he could sit before he settled her back on his lap, arms around her.

On Monday morning, Lisbon opened her eyes, finding herself snuggled safely in Jane's embrace as his fingers ran through her hair; switching the alarm off, she lifted her head to look at him.

"Morning, how did you sleep?" He asked.

"Perfect"

"Ready for today?"

"As I'll ever be; promise me something though?"

"Anything"

"Try and stay out of trouble"

"I promise to try; let me get you some breakfast whilst you get ready"

Having arrived at the unit early, the rest of the team hadn't yet arrived; with Jane waiting in her office with drinks, Lisbon had her meeting with Minelli. He looked up from his book as she reentered a short while later.

"Sorted?" He asked as she sat next to him and took her drink.

"Yeah, I'm gonna be hands on from the office, interviews, etc"

"You okay with that?"

"I have to be; this one is too important to risk" she said, a hand on her bump. "I need to talk to Cho and Rigsby"

"Want me to send them in?"

"Give me five minutes first? Better send Grace in too so the guys don't get suspicious"

"Everything is gonna be fine; whatever happens, we've all got your back"

"I know" she grinned before gasping. "It's just kicked"

Grabbing his hand, she placed it on her bump as the baby kicked for a second time.

"Makes it more real, doesn't it?" He asked, noting the smile on her face.

"I think the bump and weight gain is a big give away but yeah, it does"

"I'll leave you to get settled; I'll send them in shortly"

"Thanks Jane...For everything"

"What I'm here for"

As he left the office, closing the door behind him, Lisbon smiled and left her hand on her bump; for the first time since finding out she was pregnant, she felt genuinely happy. Knowing she probably wouldn't have much time before they team would enter, she sat herself at her desk, bump clearly hidden and began to catch up on her paperwork; although Cho had done a good job in her absence, there was still a fair bit to get through.

Before she knew it, there was a knock at the door and a glance at her watch told her it had thirty minutes since Jane had left her.

"Come in" she answered, a slight hint of hesitation and nervousness in her voice.

With Cho, Rigsby, Van Pelt standing in front of her, and Jane just inside the doorway, she took a deep breath and looked at them.

"First off, Cho, you did a great job leading the team while I was off so thank you for not letting the standards slip, or for letting Jane to cause too much trouble. Secondly, even though I'm back, you will continue to run the team out in the field; I'll be on a hands on basis in the office only"

"Everything okay boss?" Rigsby asked.

"Everything's fine; I...got some news a while back and it's taken me a while to process it. During the investigation with the therapist, I learnt that as a result of the drugs and without knowledge of how it happened, I was, am, pregnant; I had a couple of scares early on and as a result, I've made the decision to only work from the office. That doesn't mean I won't be keeping a close eye on what's going on" she added, glaring at Jane, more out of habit than arousing suspicion.

"Whatever you say Lisbon" he quipped back.

"Congratulations boss" Van Pelt said, with Cho and Rigsby chiming in at the same time.

"Thank you, back to work. Jane, a word"

As the others left, Jane sat on the edge of her desk and tried to take her hand.

"What's this about you locking a suspect in a room with his biggest fear until he confessed?" She asked, gesturing to the report on her desk.

"Slight hiccup"

"Jane..." she sighed. "When I'm not here, I can't do anything to get you out of trouble; lucky for you, the evidence supports his confession and he won't be pressing charges but I need you to play by the rules. I can't have you going off on your own and causing trouble, not now, and not if you're serious about us. It's not just about me and you anymore... " she said with a slight pleading tone.

"Hey, I'm sorry; I promised to try harder, didn't I?" He asked, helping her up so he could hold her close.

"I know and you obviously are; only one complaint in the whole time I was off. A record considering you didn't see me for a week either; I just...I can't do this without you"

"And you won't have to; Teresa Lisbon, I promise you, I am not going anywhere. You, quite literally, save my life; from Red John and myself. I have a chance to make a new life for myself and I want to do that with you...and this little one" he said, a hand on her bump.