Chapter Thirty-Seven

The waiting room was empty. So bare that Hermione felt like she had walked into a funeral parlour but she realised that it was nearly closing time and that was why no one was at the doctors clinic. Fred’s hand supported her back as she led him into the simple, blue waiting room.

‘So we go in, she checks you and we leave? Why are we at a muggle doctor? Isn’t St. Mungo’s good enough?’ asked Fred as they sat down on the empty chairs, ‘seems to me that-’

‘We are having a baby, Fred. We can’t go to St Mungo’s,’ Hermione sighed as she crossed her legs and took his hand, ‘she’ll tell us about the baby’s heartbeat and if it’s one baby or twins! How amazing would it be-’

‘Twins?’ Fred asked, startled and he leaned forwards, clutching his hair, ‘no way. No twins. I never agreed to even having one baby.’

‘I didn’t agree on making a baby either, Fred,’ Hermione said coldly but he only rolled his eyes at her. Hermione controlled her anger even though she wanted to tell him how unsupportive he was being. He really couldn’t commit to anything, Hermione thought, he’ll never grow up.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, each thinking or worrying their own thoughts and worries. Hermione was glad when they got called to the office quite quickly since Fred had decided to not say anything so they sat in awkwardness. Hermione’s name was called over the intercom followed by a room number. She stood up, pulling a sullen looking Fred behind her, and made for the small office.

‘Here we go. Hopefully no twins,’ Fred whispered as Hermione opened the door, chuckling slightly. Hermione shot a small glare at him before sorting her face and smiling at the young doctor.

‘Hello, congratulations on your pregnancy,’ the doctor said, holding out a hand, ‘my name is Doctor Andrews and I will be your doctor for the whole of your pregnancy hopefully.’

‘Hi, I’m Fred and this is my, uh, girlfriend Hermione,’ Fred said and shook hand with the young doctor.

Doctor Andrews was a female doctor who had long hair which was tied in a simple ponytail and hung in a V shape down her back. Fred and Hermione took a seat on the two chairs in front of her desk.  Her eyes shone brown as she shook their hands and then she grabbed a record that said “Miss Hermione Granger” on the front.

‘Hermione Granger, lovely name,’ she stated and Hermione thanked her nervously. She started to go through the file and Fred, feeling Hermione’s nerves roll off her in waves, took her hand and she smiled at him gratefully, ‘so you’re eighteen years old. No recent kids, No work. Not married or engaged. Don’t live with your parents? I assume you live with your boyfriend then?’

‘Yes, we have a small apartment and a small shop,’ Hermione murmured and Doctor Andrews studied Fred and nodded.

‘Fred, is it? Do you work at all? How’s the finance in your home?’ she asked, noticing the way Fred’s bottom lip curled into his mouth and he sighed.

‘We don’t have enough money but I’m working on it,’ Fred shrugged, ‘I give her what I can and I promise, medical bills will be my first priority.’

‘I assume you have not had any children before?’ she asked after a small pause and Fred shook his head. Doctor Andrews ran a hand through her fringe before scrutinising them both. She spoke softly, almost mesmerizingly, ‘medical bills are very expensive and even if you do pay them, I don’t know whether you will cope. I only say this because I get lots of young mums in here who think they can raise a child but the child ends up being neglected, abandoned or even physically abused. Some fathers leave the relationship after a child. It’s not too late to back out of this-’