Chapter Twenty Two

Fred mumbled something in his sleep, the kitchen around him was deadly silent as he said Hermione’s name in his drowsiness. He hadn’t moved a centimetre since Ron had left and that had been last night. The sun hit the floor, the table and Fred’s face which finally awoke him. His blue eyes opened slowly, the sun seemed to blind him for a second and then he could see again.

The first thing he saw was the broken pieces of glass on the floor. He narrowed his eyes as he looked around the  kitchen. He was alone. Fred wondered who broke the glass and then it came back to him. The wine bottle had crashed like a meteor on the floor because he had thrown it. Why had he thrown it? Fred moaned loudly and that caused him to grimace as though he was in pain. The birds chirping sounded like bombs being detonated in front of Fred. In other words, his head was hurting so bad and every small noise was magnified to make him grimace.

‘I was wondering when you were going to wake up.’

Fred turned to see Harry leaning against the kitchen doorway, surveying the glass with his fists clenched behind his back and his jaw tightened. Harry was wearing jeans and a shirt that Ginny bought him a couple of weeks ago.

‘Stop talking so loud,’ Fred whispered, his head in his hands.

‘Take these and down them straight. They don’t taste good,’ Harry warned and passed him two yellow pills and he moved to the sink. Filling the glass with water, he handed it to Fred before taking a seat opposite him, ‘hurry up and drink them down.’

Fred gladly drank the pills. They burnt his throat even worse than firewhiskey. It took his whole strength in not spitting them out. Harry never blinked as Fred looked up at him. Fred rolled his eyes as Harry’s green eyes pierced a hole in him.

‘What?’ asked Fred briskly, drinking the water in large gulps. The water felt considerably easy and smooth against the medicine which was taking effect quite slowly.

‘What the hell are you doing with your life? Are you trying to end your life by drinking?’ Harry asked, his anger boiling up yet not to the brim, ‘you’re barely living, mate.’

‘I have nothing left to live for and, frankly, you have no right to be in my house,’ stated Fred, pulling his wand out of his pocket and ignoring Harry’s eyes following his wand, ‘get out.’

‘Stop drinking, start working and straighten your life or-’ Harry banged his hands on he table but Fred growled and banged his palms harder, the sound like of wood creaking made Harry recoil.

‘Get out of here, Harry, or so help me I won’t be able to control my anger,’ Fred said through clenched teeth and narrowed eyes, his palms quivering.

‘What about her?’ asked Harry softly, meaning Hermione and Fred knew he meant her since his eyes looked down at the table for a second.

‘If you’re talking about Hermione,’ started Fred and with a wave of his wand he cleared the mess from the floor. It vanished, almost, like it was turned to air, ‘I don’t care for her and I guess she should know that.’