Chapter Thirty-Six

Hermione smoothed out the bed sheet with her hand and looked around the room one last time to make sure they haven’t forgotten to pack anything. The bed sheets were perfectly straight, the mini fridge was void of any foods or water and the bedside tables were spotlessly clean. Two arms snaked across Hermione’s stomach, making her shiver as Fred’s voice whispered into her ear. His voice sounded like a quiet and peaceful piece of music to her. She leaned against him.

‘Shall we go or do you want to stay here another night, birthday girl?’ asked Fred, chuckling so that breath floated onto Hermione’s neck causing a chain reaction of another shiver and a small smile.

‘I think we should get home, Fred,’ Hermione muttered, twisting her hands into his and turning to face him. She noticed his red hair flopping in front of his blue eyes, hiding the eyes that should not be hidden. She moved his hair away as he kissed her lightly.

‘Let’s go then,’ Fred suggested.

His hand clenched around hers tighter and they grabbed their bags again. Hermione didn’t want to leave Switzerland in its beauty but she had to of course. Fred had to work since she just ruined the chances of him making more money, she told herself miserably. Switzerland had been great and she loved that Fred was so thoughtful and romantic to take her out to dinner and now he even had a present for her when they got back. Fred grinned at her as they were about to leave and in an instant Hermione felt herself being wrenched by the hips into space. She closed her eyes as pain shot through her lower body and after a second it was over. She opened her eyes.

‘This apartment is so small that we could her each other breathing from different rooms,’ Fred said miserably, letting the suitcases fall to the floor, ‘home sweet home anyway.’

‘We’ll manage,’ Hermione rubbed his arm and he shrugged, the grin had gotten lost somewhere between them apparating and landing. Hermione watched him with contempt patched across his face in large letters as he walked into the living room.

‘Hello big brother,’ a voice floated from the living room making Fred pause at the door. Hermione’s heart seemed to beat in her ears as her hand paused in the act of picking up the bag. Fred’s hands turned into clenched fists as the man spoke again, ‘you’re right. This apartment is quite small. Don’t you think she deserves a little better than what you can provide for her?’

‘Is that... Ron?’ asked Hermione, advancing towards Fred but he turned around and nodded, blocking the view from her. She noticed the flicker of fear on his face but his eyes turned hard as he looked her up and down.

‘You should probably change your clothes into something a little more suitable,’ Fred suggested, his eyebrows raised as he looked at her large stomach, ‘wear a jumper over. Its, uh, kind of chilly in here.’

‘I get it, Fred,’ Hermione whispered and rushed to the other room. She wrenched open the cupboard and raked her eyes over every jumper she had but all of them were too large on her. Finally Hermione decided to wear one of Fred’s instead. She pulled a blue hoody over her head, curiosity boiling through her and making her nearly run to the other room.

Hermione stopped at the door unmistakably breathless and locked her eyes on Ron who was sat on the sofa, glaring at Fred. Fred chuckled under his breath at how she looked in his clothes but she took no notice of him. Ron stood up as soon as he saw her and Hermione swore she could see him get nervous as he gulped nervously.

‘Are you... are you crying?’ asked Ron incredulously.

Hermione was indeed crying. Tears poured down her face and she pouted at him. It had been so long since she had seen Ron and she did really miss him even after everything he did to ruin her relationship with Fred. Speaking of, Fred stood up, his eyes flashing as he looked at Hermione and then to Ron. A mixture of jealousy and hatred was evident in his expression.