Chapter Twenty-Eight

Fred was relieved when the horrid tubes had left his body. He grinned from ear to ear as the nurse removed the tube, that gave him blood, in his arm because now he didn’t need it anymore. He still felt a little light headed as he got up from the bed but he supposed that was because of lying in the same position for hours every day, only getting up for toilet breaks. Fred had packed all of the cards, flowers and the few remaining sweets that he hadn’t ate, into a bag. He was waiting on the doctor who wanted to speak to Fred.

Fred was leaning on the window sill, gazing out at the scenery before him. The window was open and occasionally made him shiver as he breathed in the fresh air with the sparkle of a slight patter of rain. The rain drops hit the ground softly and Fred suddenly realised how much he missed being outside. Sure, he missed his family and his home but he also missed being out there. Hospitals were depressing. Fred stretched out his hand and felt the, not necessarily cold but more refreshing, drops of rain splatter onto his hand, their journey to the ground being interrupted. The sun was also shining somewhere behind him, setting a golden glow onto the streets and buildings around him. Fred could see a very faint rainbow to his left, stretching across the sky and ending at the pot of gold. He chuckled to himself slightly as he thought of this, the grin from before never left his face.

‘Don’t worry, you’ll be out there very soon although the rain isn’t exactly a good thing,’ the Healer had entered the room now and was watching Fred. He held a file in his hands, probably Fred’s. Although Fred disagreed with his statement, he said nothing, ‘I see you are packed and ready to leave?’

‘Yeah, I’d like to leave as soon as possible,’ muttered Fred, taking a seat on the bed as the Healer nodded, understanding, ‘so what’s the news?’

‘Well, you’re intake of blood is getting accepted, you look better and presumably feel better if you’re able to stand up,’ the Healer looked down at the file and flicked through it, making positive noises from the back of his throat. He closed the file and looked up at Fred, ‘you live alone, I presume?’

‘Yes... I used to live with my brother but... Hermione, you’ve met her before, is staying at my apartment, I think,’ Fred said, grinning. Hermione was another thing he was looking forward too. She said she would be here when he was discharged. She was probably waiting for the doctor to release Fred.

‘Yes, I’ve met the young girl. Am I correct when I say that she is pregnant?’ asked the Healer and Fred nodded, ‘okay, one more thing. Since this was a attempted suicide case, it is recommended that you live with someone. Whether that be for a couple of weeks or months, just to make sure. Although it is just a recommendation, it must be considered seriously.’

‘I won’t do it again. I don’t need anyone to baby sit me,’ Fred said, feeling slightly insulted and misunderstood. Yes he had tried to end his life but no one believed him when he said that it was a one off thing. Of course, suicide should never be taken lightly, his reasonable side argued, ‘fine, I’ll take heed of your words. Am I free to leave now?’

‘Sure but I think the nurse had some news she wanted to tell you. I was busy at the time. I’ll just page her,’ the Healer took out a small rectangular object and pressed some buttons before saying the name of the nurse. He put the object away and held out his hand for Fred, ‘hope I never see you in here again.’

‘Me too,’ Fred said chuckling and he shook his hand like men do, slightly firm and rigid before letting go.

The Healer left the room after declaring that the nurse should be here soon. Fred wondered why the nurse wanted to talk to him. What could she possibly say to him? Fred crossed his ankles together and leaned back slightly as he waited. His mind went back to Hermione and the kiss they shared. How she blushed when he smiled against her mouth...