9 - The best friend/brother-in-law/uncle grilling.

I lost count of the number of times I watched Mum and Ruben kiss over dinner.

And yet, it still wasn't gross at all.

Every time they did, each of the remaining four at the table smiled with them, just happy that the people we love loved each other.

Mum and I didn't go home until late. Jet tried to offer that we could stay instead of going home so late considering they had a spare room, which I reckon I would have been happy with. Mum, however, insisted we needed to go home with Jet and I having school and everyone having work early in the morning. Jet, Ruben and I all seemed as disappointed as each other, perking up only when Mum suggested they to come over for dinner at our house tomorrow night instead.

I really thought Ruben was going to cry again when we left. It took him, like, ten minutes after we got in our car before he could bear to let her roll the window up and drive away, putting his hand over the door frame and leaning in to kiss her again every time she said she was going.

I have never seen anyone more mushy and cute with their girlfriend than Ruben was already with Mum. Not Nanny Mary and her new boyfriend Luca. Not Uncle Seth and his girlfriend Kadence. Not even my Uncle Landon was this bad with my Uncle Bray, and he's usually pretty bad.

"Alright, kiddo," Mum said, pulling out of Ruben's street when we finally drove away. "Now we're alone, do you have any thoughts or opinions about all this that you'd like to share with me?"

"What sort of thought or opinions?" I asked, looking over at her, the street lamps lighting up her smile every time we drove past one.

She laughed at me. "Well, you usually throw your two cents in any chance you get, so I'm wondering why you've been so quiet about all this."

"Did you forget that I was the one that told you guys to just kiss already? I'd say that's a pretty obvious thought and opinion," I said, only to receive a stern look from Mum. "Too much attitude?" I queried.

"Just a fraction," she smiled softly. "But seriously, can you please tell me what you're thinking about all this. It seems really quick to me, so I can only imagine how fast all this must be moving for you."

I told her that I didn't think it was quick at all, really. That I think it's perfect, regardless of the time. Everyone is different, and everyone's perfect looks different. This is just her and Ruben's, and Jet and mine by extension.

"When did you get so wise?" Mum stared down at me in the passenger seat, an astonished look on her face after I finished telling her that she shouldn't be worried about how quick it is, or what I thought. That she should just trust her own instincts and do what feels right to her, which is what she's been trying to teach me to do my whole life.

I shrugged, not actually knowing the answer to that question. I just said whatever came to mind mostly.

"I love you, Mum. And my opinion is that I am happy to see you finally happy. You'll get no arguments or complaints from me. I like Jet. I like Ruben, and I love that Ruben likes you," I said, effectively silencing her doubts for now.

- - -

I learned the next day that school goes a lot quicker when you have something to look forward to after classes finish.

Ruben and Jet coming over for dinner is a much bigger and more effective motivator for focussing in class and getting the day over and done with. More so than footy or skating has ever been, which is pretty telling considering how much I love both of these things.

Mum was making gnocchi, which was our favourite and something we always had every birthday. It was a family tradition that started with Nanny Mary, where she would spend hours making it on every single one of our birthdays. It was the thing I loved most about my birthday every year—having every one of my family members around eating my favourite dish.