Chapter Seventeen; Simon Says; Jay Says

"You heard what Jay said! Find Alana, and bring her to him. He'll tell us everything if we do. . . Everything! All this bullshit 'laying low' can be put to an end! We can finally find out what really happened to my sister, and we'll know who did it, and why! What the fuck competition is that for you, Hayden?" Ethan glanced at Ty, scanning him up and down as he paced in front of Kenzie Highschool. "Ty?"

Ty shook his head, ran his hands down his face, then paced some more.

"I just--" Ty frowned, and glanced down at the picture of Alana, and Marie. His fist balled around the image, angrily. "I don't fucking understand. . ." He agonized. "How can this all tie together like this? How can this be the same Jay who found Jade? James Boston!? Come on now. . . Really? A guy with that much business, working with Nathan? Why didn't Nathan ever say anything?"

Hayden casually rested his arms over his knees, leaning his head back against the school doors in his seated position. He sat off to himself, panning for solutions, with no luck.

"That doesn't matter-" Ethan was cut off as Hayden spoke.

"The Boston business started like --four, maybe five years ago. We all know how much power Nathan had. What can James possibly confess if it wasn't that Nathan had something to do with Lucian, and-"

"Don't you say it! Don't you dare say he had something to do with Viv's death!" Ethan shook with anger. Tears threatened to pour, but he sealed them away, shutting his eyes once, twice, then wiping them.

"Wait. . . what are you saying?" Ty enquired, interest moving over his features.

Hayden sat silent for a moment. He chewed on his bottom lip, staring off.

"I'm trying," he said moments later after an uncomfortable silence. "To piece it all together, the dates. My mom told me James Boston was Alana's father, but I don't think I believed it, or cared enough to confirm it. My father died two years ago, then Viv exactly a year later.

"Alana said her mother died in Jail, giving birth to Marie about three years ago. After she died, just notice how everyone else died too."

Ethan crossed his arms over his chest, his composure completely set now.

"What are you saying?"

"I honestly don't know."

Ethan grunted, pressing his lips together tightly. Hayden watched as he turned away, heading towards his car.

"Like I said, none of that matters anymore. I'm going to get Alana, and this will all be ov-"

Ty rushed towards Ethan, pinning him against the car. His lips raised in disgust, his brows arched high, in shock. "No!" He protested, just as Ethan's hands gripped his t-shirt and pushed him away. "We're not sending her back to him, you hear me?" Ty's voice lowered, and he smooth his shirt over. "There has to be another way."

Hayden, behind the two, was standing from his seat. He pleaded with Ethan. Sad, slit eyes, shaking his head. "Don't be like that, Ethan. What about Marie?"

Ethan's jaw jumped, as he looked at his two best friends. "I'm calling Elaine. By the time I make it back to your house, Hayden, Elaine will be there making sure Alana doesn't leave. I'm sorry." He slid into his vehicle, and pulled off before they could say another word.

* * *

Clutching Marie in her arms, she ran up the porch steps back home. Crystal was exiting just as she was entering.

"Hey, Alana. What's the rush?" She smiled down at Marie, then leaned forward to kiss her cheeks. "Hi, baby!" She exclaimed. Marie reached for her, but Crystal shook her head. "I'm sorry, not now. I'm on the run but I should be back soon. . . Alana?"

"Huh-- Yes?" She struggled not to breath hard, struggled not to look too startled, struggled to appear normal.

"The girls are inside waiting for you. The boys should be on their way, but there's lasagna in the fridge if any of you get hungry, OK?"

"Ok, thanks." She rushed past Crystal inside the house, without another word.

Elaine sat on the sofa beside a sad looking Jade. When Elaine caught sight of Alana, she grinned sweetly.

"Hey, you!" She giggled, standing.

Jade stood, as well, placing a hand on Elaine's arm, pulling her back. "Calm down, Elaine. We're not here to-" her words were cut off, when Elaine yanked from her grip, yelling loudly.

"Shut up! Shut the fuck up!"

Marie jumped in Alana's arms, and twisted to look at a wild looking Elaine, advancing toward them.

"What's going on?" Alana asked, backing herself into a corner, away from Elaine.

Jade offered sorrow expression, but spoke no words.

"Daddy wants you back, Alana. Dream over. No more being a slut. You can go back to Jay, and be his slut."

"What are you talking about?" Alana lowered Marie from her arms. They ached from clenching her so tight, even though Marie was as light as a feather. "Get away from us." She stuck Marie behind her, as she remembered Hayden doing for her the day he'd told her about his mom. He'd protected her then, he was brave. She would be brave. "Take one more step, and I swear on my mother-" Elaine's fist rose, jumping at Alana, and Alana's words immediately stopped.

"What're you gonna do, Alana? Really?" Elaine's fist un-balled, and that same hand stretched over Alana's neck, choking her. "I will fold your little ass up."

Alana's fist went out at Elaine, but her fading consciousness misguided her, and she missed. While she continued to fight Elaine's strength, Marie screamed behind her.

Jade rushed out beside them, but before she could react, Elaine's hand around Alana's neck released to punch her. Jade fell away holding her face, groaning.

"My cousin is dead, and this bitch's father knows why! Don't fucking play with me, Jade!" Elaine cried out.

Alana coughed twice, but she didn't falter long. This time when she aimed to punch Elaine, her fist connected. It wasn't a powerful punch, not even enough to knock Elaine down, but enough to split her lip.

Elaine licked at the blood oozing from her full lips, and grinned. Just as her hand raised, the front door burst opened and Ethan rushed in. A gun in the same hand he used to open the door.

"Where is she?" But his eyes put together the scene before Elaine could explain. Jade on the floor holding her nose. A redneck Alana against the wall, an invisible screaming child, and a bloody mouthed Elaine. "They were right behind me last time I checked, so let's go. Jade help Elaine get them in the car," he paused and frowned. "And shut that baby the fuck up."

Once they were outside, Jade reluctantly, but obediently hustled to force Alana inside the car once, while Elaine worked Marie in on the other side. Ethan stood off to the side, watching for Hayden and Ty.

"Hurry up!' He boomed as both their cars skidded down the street towards them, before halting in front of his. Hayden was the first to hop out of his car, then Ty. Ethan raised his right hand with the gun, and with the left he pulled another gun from his waist. "I'll do it! For my sister, I swear on my father I'll do it!"

Ethan backed away from them, just as Elaine and Jade slammed Alana and Marie in. He immediately hopped in his car, and drove around their cars back to Kenzie.

Elaine reached behind her, and pulled her own gun, aiming at Ty, and Hayden. "Don't follow him." She spat.

* * *

Ethan pointed the gun in Alana's face, while he struggled to focus on the road

"Shut her up, now!" He yelled, glancing at the road, then at her through the rearview mirror, then back at the road.

Marie only screamed louder.