Chapter Thirteen; One Word, Urgency

His left eye was swollen shut, a dark shade tinting the normality of his skin color.  A bandaid was bent over his nose, and a few scars were left over his arms.

Alana suddenly remembered him saying Elaine had brought a blade to the fight, but she hadn't noticed any cuts or scratches then. Now they were long red, painful lashes that one could see several feet away.

"Alana?" A smile crept over his lips, his eyebrows lifted in mixed happiness, and slight shock.

Everyone had responded to her sudden reappearance in the same manner. Even teachers displayed bewilderment at her. Not only had she'd lost weight, but her choice of dress had left wide mouths and big eyes too.

She smiled as he pulled her into a hug.

Before she left, Isaac barely looked her way, not because he disliked her in any fashion, but because an awkward atmosphere always settled about them when he did. There had never been anything to talk about, however, now there was plenty things in need of addressing. Especially in favor of Alana's intentions for seeking him out.

"I guess I should get to the point." Alana said, pulling away from his embrace.

Isaac smirked, and folded his arms over his chest.

"I should've known you'd come back on a mission. What's up?" He asked.

They stood beside a staircase that would lead them up to the school's library. Instead of going to her Lunch Break, Alana decided to find Isaac. Nearly the entire day had gone by and she hadn't seen him, so of course when she found him sitting on the stairs by himself, she was overjoyed.

"Let's go to the library and talk about it, yea?" Alana asked. She took his hand, and led him up the stairs to the library. After checking in, they sat at a table towards the back. Isaac folded his arms, and slid back in his seat before smiling at her.

"What's up, Lana?"

"I heard about the fight." She nodded at his face. He'd clearly been in a fight that ultimately ended terribly for him. "What's your beef with them? Why are you fighting them?"

At her words, he smirked. He leaned over the table, and sighed before lowering his head with a chuckle.

"You mean Nathan's boys?" He asked. His face twisted in amusement when she frowned and shrugged.

"Is that like a. . . group name?"

"Not exactly." He cocked his head to the left, his eyes watching her for trickery--because it had not completely settled within him that Alana was dead serious. "You really have no idea what you're dealing with, do you?"

She squinted curious eyes at him. Leaning back in her own chair, she shook her head in frustration.

"They're people, Isaac. . . What do you mean by me not knowing what I'm dealing with? I mean, it can't be that bad, right?"

Isaac's eyes shifted to a figure moving about somewhere close to the entrance, but before he could get a proper look, the person disappeared from the doorway. His jawline jumped as Alana glanced behind her, then looked back to him in puzzlement.

"What . . ?" She asked. She watched him stand to his feet, simultaneously watching the doorway.

He glanced at her, momentarily.

"How about we cut this short, ok?" His eyes quickly moved back to the library's entrance before turning back to her with a forced smile. "You do have a phone, right?"