Chapter 15-Erin

Erin's Point of View

Getting ready for our junior prom wasn't nearly as exciting and glamorous as I expected it to be. Lynn had already called three times in the last half hour but I couldn't bring myself to answer her. She had spent all morning delegating different tasks for me, as bad as I felt for the mess she made for herself I couldn't help but be angry that she had abandoned her prom committee responsibilities.

I arrived much earlier than I needed to to let the band, which is a task that was given to Lynn, since Dean Calloway gave her the key to the gym. Since then I had just been sitting in my car outside the gym, throwing myself a pity party.

I was lost in thought when Jodie Reign approached my car and knocked on my window, giving me a tiny heart attack on top of my already throbbing heart. Her gown was a dark green, it matched her eyes, she looked like she had it completely together. I couldn't even imagine how I looked, I couldn't even be bothered to take a curling wand to my hair. My makeup was light, not the typical over-the-top makeup I had been planning all year. Nothing was right, which sounded incredibly shallow, with everything going on.

"Jesus," I mumbled as she came around to my passenger side door. I unlocked the door for her and she slid in, then looked at me expectantly.

"Well?" She said, her tone full of urgency.

"Well, what?"

"Did you get the flowers?"

"Oh, yeah, they're already inside," I spoke quietly, I didn't mean to but that's how it came out. I never was able to hide anything from them, Lynn especially. Tonight, though, was riding on me being able to deceive them.

"Do you want me to tell him to do it?" She asked, obviously sensing my uneasiness.

"No, it's not even a big lie, I don't know why I feel so sick about it." She was quiet for a while.

"I've never lied to Ashton, either. About anything. I get it, Erin," she said finally.

"I just have to tell him to pass out the flowers, right? Like that's it?" She nodded.

"That's it," she reassured me, then placed her hand on my arm, I'm guessing to console me. I jumped away, out of instinct, but immediately regretted it.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, then took her hand in mine.

"It's okay, I know," she gave it a squeeze.

I didn't even notice Teagan was approaching the car until she pulled the back door open and climbed inside, her sleek dress making it nearly impossible to sit comfortably.

"You guys ready?" I turned back to her and nodded, watching as she pulled herbs out of her clutch and handing a pile to each of us.

"Here, eat this. Let it sit in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing."

"No way, what the hell is it?" Jodie barked, understandably not trusting her.

"It's just sage, relax. It helps with spell-casting. You know how people burn sage to get rid of evil or unwanted spirits? It's kind of the same thing when you take it, it gets rid of any negative energy you might be carrying around. It like gives the magic a cleaner home to settle in," she explained. I wrinkled my nose before licking the pieces off my hand, following her orders. Jodie hesitated, but then did the same.

I felt my body relax, for the first time in weeks my jaw unclenched on it's own, my forehead unwrinkled itself and suddenly I felt lighter, all in a matter of seconds.

"Holy shit," I sighed, looking over at Jodie to find her experiencing the same thing as me. Her eyelids drooped and she giggled lightly.

"Ready?" Teagan asked again, then took our hands. She closed her eyes and mumbled something in maybe-latin. A surge of energy jolted through my body and suddenly the world seemed a little brighter. Every color popped, the setting sun was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I looked back at Jodie, and suddenly she glowed with a pink essence, her skin lit up and I found myself speechless.