Chapter 1-Lynn

(Media: Erin Reeves)

Lynn's Point of View

I woke up in sweat. The humid air seeping in from my opened window left my skin clammy and my throat dry. These nights the fresh air was the only thing keeping me sane anymore. Restless nights were an abundance lately, my body trying to comprehend what was happening, the quickly growing hair, the sharpening of my teeth and fingers, the perfecting of my physique. Which were abnormal changes to most people, but to a werewolf these things were quite typical.

I tried to think back to the nightmare I had just escaped. I tried to picture the man who had been yelling my name but I couldn't. Just the echo of his voice surrounded my mind. Every morning was the same. I woke up with shallow breaths and wild eyes, the panic attacks always happened on the important days. Like this morning, this day I lost the innocence I'd so desperately held onto for my entire life. The innocence of being unchanged, and incapable of murder. After that night, it would all be different.

There are people in this world who are born with gifts, some can cast spells and talk to the dead, some live off of blood and haunt nightmares, others, quite like me, can shapeshift into ravenous wolves. With all these burdens, comes terrible regulations. A wolf will always change on their eighteenth birthday, unless by some genetic failure, their body rejects the change.

I had been praying for that nearly my entire life, that I could live as a human, away from all of this madness. The my werewolf gene would somehow lay dormant and I could leave all this behind. Even if it meant leaving all my loved ones. As selfish as it sounds, I would leave everyone just to be able to be whoever I wanted to be, without the weight of titles or responsibilities for my pack.

Though, being a full blood, there's no way the elders would reject me. They would never seem a direct descendent of our greatest ancestor, Naomi, unworthy.

So as the day went on and midnight approached, the deeper my despair seemed to drive.

The sun was setting before anyone ever even came into my room. I heard a knock on my door and considered keeping it closed. If I didn't go to the sacred ground, I didn't have to follow through with the ritual, right?

I sighed, knowing that wasn't how this all works, and pulled my door open to reveal Erin, my confidant and soul sister. She walked in with a knowing smile, then held her arms out. I fell into them, finally letting the tears fall.

"I know, Lynnie. Everything will be okay, I will be here for you. Sam, too. He'll be there! And Ray." She whispered reassurances into my hair, knowing how much I dreaded this day. I pulled away, trying to compose myself. I had very limited time to get ready and Erin wouldn't appreciate having to put extra concealer over blotchy eyes.

"You okay, honey?"

I nodded, walking to my vanity to let her get to work on my Ritual Day appearance.

"Wait, hold on. I have a surprise. Jonah!" My brother came in immediately, a huge grin plastered on his face and a giant wrapped gift in his hands.

"What, no, absolutely not, guys-" I started to protest but Erin clamped a hand over my mouth and looked expectantly up at Jonah. He ripped off the lid and let it fall to the ground before taking out a solid gold dress. I watched as the end cascaded to the floor, completely shocked. She pulled her hand away, clapping her hands together excitedly. My jaw dropped as I watched it shimmer in the candle light.

"Erin-" I was cut off again by her hugging me excitedly, giggling uncontrollably.

"Don't you love it?" She said loudly, letting go of me to hug my brother.