Chapter 11-Erin

Erin's Point of View

"I'm thinking... Gatsby." Lynn flushed, spinning in a satin black gown.

"The theme is Greek." I told her, annoyed. She huffed, spinning back to Ray.

"Maybe we should change it. What do you think, Ray?" He looked up from his book, giving her a once-over and smirking.

"Wear that and you can have whatever theme you want." I wanted to gag. Since the night that Teagan split their souls, Lynn and Ray couldn't keep their hands off one another. It's like they were driven by lust.

"We can't change the theme, prom is Friday night. Everyone probably has their dresses to fit the theme and the decoration committee spent weeks on the fountains and pillars. The witches even helped grow grape vines. You can't go changing things now." Lynn's eyes narrowed when I finished speaking.

"I can to whatever I please. I'm head of the prom committee, I have the power to snap my fingers and say there's no prom at all." She smirked evilly and I couldn't help but want to hit her. After a moment of her glaring, I rolled my eyes and left the room.

Dresses hung from every rack in the store, from sleek and slender to poofy and covered in sparkles, the thought of picking out a dress right then seemed silly.

On top of Lynn's thread of humanity being cut and this prom disaster, I knew I would soon be facing it all alone. Jonah would be graduating at the end of the month, then he was off to three months of Alpha training in Italy. I prayed that things would be calmed down by then, the thought of being without him was unbearable enough.

I thought back to my eighteenth birthday. I spent the day shopping for a dress with Lynn and Sam, much to their dismay. I remember I had accidentally left my cell phone at home, and when I got back I immediately started getting ready. My ritual went as planned, it hurt like hell, but I was a wolf and I was happy. Unlike Lynn, I appreciated every aspect of being a werewolf. She would scowl every time I used the word, but it gave me a sense of power.

I ran through the forest almost all night after I changed, I let the breeze carry me through the old trees, my feet moving a mile a minute. I was gone for hours. I finally made my way back home when the dark sky twisted together with a rising pink.

When I made it back to my bedroom I saw my cell phone blinking on the charger, signaling a new message. My wonderful day was shattered when I realized it was from my absentee and rogue mother, a simple "happy bday".

I remember I had dissolved into tears, I felt hideous. My body shook and my skin felt hot and quiet sobs escaped my lips. I stayed that way for several minutes, before I heard a light knock at my bedroom door.

"Erin?" I remember recognizing his voice and being immediately confused, but my body shot to the door, not even hesitating before pulling it opened and falling into his arms. My body tingled all over. Everywhere our skin met was on fire. The best kind of fire, the kind that kept you warm in the middle of winter. I pulled him into my room and that night we just fell asleep together, him holding me and it was like everything my mother did, every bad thing that ever came into my life, it was all suddenly worth it. In the end I got Jonah, and literally nothing else mattered.

I browsed around the store while Lynn tried on more dresses and Ray continued to read, sprawled wildly on the lounging chair outside the changing rooms. Giving Lynn dirty remarks about every dress she put on.

She sauntered out hours later, the sun had begun to set and the woman behind the counter had already warned me several times about the approaching closing time. I missed when Lynn hated shopping. When she bitterly thought it was silly to take part in such a human task.