Chapter 14

"Damn it!" I shout, slamming my left hand against my cars steering wheel while using my right hand to ruffly twist the key in. The car made no noise, just like it had been during my last few tries.

               "Watch your language." Chuck walks up to my car, taking in my awkward position. I had the door open and was sitting sideways in the drivers seat, my feet hanging out while I twisted to be able to start the car.

               "Go away." I tell him, not really meaning it.  We had gotten close in the two weeks since my birthday, he had replaced Amber who continued to glare at me from a distance whenever we passed in the halls. 

               "What's the problem." He leans against the open door, swinging it so it was fully opened.

               "Max got an earlier flight and I need to get to the airport to pick him up." I whine, once again twisting the key, trying to ignor the way Chuck tensed up at the mention of Max.

               "Up." Chuck steps out of my way as he makes a gesture for me to move. I roll my eyes, jumping up from the seat and taking the place where he had been standing as he drops himself into my seat. I watch as he does the same thing I had just spent ten minutes. 

               "Here's the deal." He says, cracking his knuckles against he wheel. "Your car isn't going to start but I have a friend who owns a tow truck so I'm going to have him take it to my house so I can fix it over the weekend." Today had been the last day of school before the winter break so he could really take all the time he wanted in fixing it. 

               "How am I going to get Max?" I ask, grinning down at him. 

               "Your going to take my car." He reaches into his pocket, pulling out his keys and holding them out for me. I take the keys.

               "Seriously?" I ask, smiling. He nods, smiling back. "Thank you so much!" I lean down, pulling him into a hug. "Your the best." I hug him tightly until he loosens up and hugs me back.

               "What will your drive until I get this back to you?" I ask, ready to hand back the keys.

               "I fix cars, that isn't the only car I own." He shrugs like its no big deal.

               "Really? I didnt know that." 

               "There is alot you don't know about me. Now get going, your going to be late." I knew that Chuck really had no idea on when I had to be there but I still smiled and nodded.

               "Thanks again, I'll call you later." He nodds before turning his attention back to my car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat on a bench near the gate Max was supposed to be coming through, watching as families got ready for their flights out of town, alot of people were going away for Christmas so the place was crowded with people saying goodbye and people coming in from out of town to visit their families. 

               "Hey Stranger, come here often." I jumped as the voice came from next to me. I slowly turn to face him, a smile spreading across my face.

               "Max!" I shout, jumping up and wrapping my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

               "Taylor!" He whisper shouts in my ear, hugging my back just as tightly.

               "You were supposed to come from that way." I say, sitting back down and pointing to gate 3, the one he had said he was going to be coming from.

               "I lied so I could surprise you." He says, nodding his head towards gate 1 which had people slowly coming out of it.

I shake my head, frowning at him as I reach over and slap his shoulder. He laughs, tipping his head back and closing his eyes.

               "Lets go get your bags." I elbow him in the ribs before standing up and grinning down at him.

He smiles back, standing up and following me as I weave my way through the crowd, quickly finding the baggage area.

Max leans against the converbelt, watching for his bags as I watch him, both of us smiling.

His skin is tanner than it was before but I guess that's what happens when you spend months in California. He looked just like the same Max, just alittle less pale.

He finds his camaflouge colored bag, grabbing it and hiking it over his shoulder. He grabs my elbow, pushing me towards the exit. 

~~~~~~~~~

               "Home or the casino?" I ask Max as we sit in the parking lot outside of the airport, slowly working our way towards the exit.

               "You want to go to the casino tonight?" He smirks, running his fingers through his hair.

               "Yeah!" I turn my blinker on, turning the car out and on to the road. I knew that the moment I drove back to town, I wouldnt have Max to myself. Amber would try and talk to him the first chance she got and Lillian would bother me about helping decorate the House for the holidays. It was all to much and it didnt sound as fun. "When can I have my other birthday present?" I say after he says yes and tells me what way to go to get to the nearest casino.

               "You remeber that?" His cheeks turn pink and I grin, trying to keep my attention on the road.

               "I don't forget the things you write to me." I tell him, my cheeks also turning pink. I've read each of Max's letters more than once. I almost knew them by memory.

               "Oh." His face continues to redden as he looks for a way to distract himself. "Pull over." He says, suddenly.

               "What?" I turn my blinker off, going from the furthest left lane to the shoulder of the road on the right.

               "I cant give it to you if your driving." He says, wiping his hands on his pants. "I never should have written about it, I don't want to anymore." He swallows, biting at his lips.

               "You have to!" I frown. "You cant tease someone about something and then take it back." I slap his knee, looking out at the darkening winter sky.

               "It's honestly something I've wanted to do since I met you but I had to wait for you to turn 18." He says, glaring out the window.

               "Wait what. You keep saying that you've wanted to do something but you said you were giving me something." I frown, trying to understand him. 

               "I'm giving you a kiss for your birthday." He says, turning around and leaning towards me, his hand coming up and cupping my chin. He slowly pulled me forward, resting his forehead against mine. I say frozen, not sure how to move.

Our breath mingles as he slowly leans forward, pressing his firm lips against mine. I let out a quiet moan as he bites my bottom lip, gently pulling. That's all it takes for me to kiss him back, my hands going up and wrapping themselves around his neck.