Chapter 16- Birds, Secret keys, Gods out to get you

LEO P.O.V

We bow at the sight of the Goddess. Muffled murmurs come from all around. Nemesis smiles nastily and bears her fang like teeth.

'My darlings...' She purs, moulding her hand into an axe. 

Where do I get one of THOSE. I think grinning

Nobody dares to look up at her and we stand there awkwardly while Nemisis sharpens her weapons.

'Lady Nemesis, what business have you here?' Chiron exclaims confidently.

'Oh... I've just come to issue a quest.' She smirks, her eyes glowing blood-red. 

I glup. This can't be good. I think to myself.

She turns her head towards me and I have no choice but the look up at her. The moment I see her I feel angry and hateful. I imagine every person who was ever unfair to me and I want to get even... I want revenge. 

'Leo Valdez....' She grins 'I think we've met before.'

I nod, still trapped inside my own hate.

She lifts her dagger/ hand at my direction, and for a moment, I thought she was either going to pat me or kill me. But instead, she points her bony, scarred finger and exclaims.

'HE will be the leader of this quest. HE will be the reason for chaos. After all, balance must be restored.'

People turn their heads towards me in disbelief. Some of them even chuckle.  Acacia is next to me, eyes wide with horror, she looks close to tears. When I look up at Nemesis again, I find nobody there. Chiron urges everyone back to their schedule will a pained expression hanging from his face, as if he knows what's going to happen.

Campers pat me on the back as they pass by, attempting to feel sorry for me. I stand up and brush the dust off my trousers, I could really use some guidance. Even the Hunters and Amazons are looking at me with pity. 

Thalia Grace walks towards me, her freaky Medusa shield gripping from her wrist. I thought she was going to stab me. But she places a hand on my shoulder. 

'Thank you for helping my brother, Jason, on your last quest.' She says looking me in the eye.

'It was nothing.' I say

She looks around nervously and hands me a key. 

'Take this.' She whispers. 

The key feels heavy in my hand. It's etched with tiny Greek symbols and it's made from celestial bronze. 

'What is this?' I whisper. 'And why are we whispering?' 

She glares at me. 

'It's a key idiot.' 

'I know that!' I reply 'What do I use it for.'

'How am I supposed to know?!' 

'Hmm... let's see... maybe it's because you GAVE it to me?'

'I seriously don't know, supposedly, you'll know when to use it.'

'The Gods love torturing us, don't they.' I sigh

'I used to think that too...' She murmurs as her eyes drift away in deep memories. 

I click my fingers. She blinks, confused for a moment, then returning to her intense glare.

'Good luck Valdez.' She murmurs. 'You'll need it.'

'Thanks Thalia.' I grin 'Maybe you don't hate me so much after all.' 

'When your not an brainless idiot, you aren't so hateable.'

'Gee...' I mumble. 'Thanks a lot.'

Thalia leaves, leaving me alone in the depths of my own troubles. Suddenly I feel two hands wrap around my neck from behind, hugging me and sobbing into my shirt.

'Hey Acacia...' I whisper turning around to look at her. Her eyes are red from crying and she looks like the world got pulled from her feet. She grips onto my shirt tighter and burrows herself further into my chest. 

'How can this get any worse?' She says after a good cry. Her tears choke her words and she looks up at me, as if expecting an answer.

The key grows heavier in my palm and if I'm not wrong, it glowed.

When things do get worse, I'll be standing alone. I think to myself. Suddenly a crane swoops down and lands on the Big House roof, eyeing me. 

'You go to your sword fighting class, okay?' I say wiping a tear from Acacia's cheek 'Everything will be alright.'

She doesn't believe what I say, but she leaves anyway. Occasionally sobbing to herself.

I walk towards the bird and it swoops down to meet me, churning it's head and squaking. It has a roll of paper tied to it's long thin legs. Geranos is a sign. I realize. From my father, the mighty God, Hephaestus. 

P.S GERANOS IS GREEK FOR CRANE WHICH IS A SACRED BIRD OF HEPHAESTUS

THANK YOU FOR READING! SORRY IT WAS SO LATE... VOTE FOR ME TO CONTINUE PLZ! COMMENTS APPRECIATED!

HAPPY READING AND WRITING!