CHAPTER 35

I stood shakily, but still kept my shoulders back. The native man stepped forward, breaking formation. He too slow but confident steps towards us. I took a step forward, making sure I was in front of Gen.

By the expression of his face, he didn't like that I did that. The man stops in front of me. He leans down to sniff the top of my head, his eyes widen and he takes a step back.

"We have been expecting you." He said in a deep voice.

"You know why I am here?" I asked.

He nods his head, "We have protected these lands for thousands of years without anyone knowing. We are the guardians of the star. It is our duty to insure it's safety," He observes me closely, "The moon goddess has sent you to us for a reason."

I nodded my head, "Well it seems the Moon Goddess has spilled the beans to everyone." I mumbled to myself. I directed my gaze on who I am assuming is the leader, "I need to get to the lake."

He bows his head, "We will guide and protect you to your destination."

"Thank you." I said as I bowed my head back respectfully. I looked over my shoulder at my little sister. She was studying the man very closely.

"Whats your name?" She asks bluntly.

The man's eyes shifted from mine to my sisters. "My name is Maikoh. I am the Alpha Chief of the Dakota Tribe."

Gen eyes him suspiciously, "My name is Genevieve Crowe."

Maikoh nods his head as if he was approving of her name while his eyes travelled down her body.

I coughed into my hand awkwardly, "My name is Lily Crowe."

Maikoh's eyes snapped to mine, they had darkened as he said in his scary voice, "You are Zeus's mate."

I nod my head hesitantly. I guess I should be cautious of who I give my name to, Zeus wouldn't be anyone's favourite person.

Maikoh takes a step forward, emitting his dominant presence, "My brothers family was murdered under your mate's care."

My eyes widen in astonishment, "You are Jacob's brother?"

He nods his head, "I was his brother. Him, his mate and my niece were murdered while attending an alpha meeting in your home."

I gulped as the memories came flooding back. Seeing their mangled bodies, little Leah's mangled body will forever be burnt into my mind, "I'm so sorry. They had become dear friends of mine. I mourned them. I grieved them. Their death's were my fault."

Genevieve stepped forward and grabbed my arm, "Stop it, Lil. It wasn't. You were unconscious, you didn't even know."

I shook my head, "But the vampires came for me. They did that because they knew what Leah was."

Gen's eyes furrowed, "What she was? What was she?"

I closed my eyes, "Innocent...she was innocent and her life was stolen from her because of me."

Maikoh's eyes black eyes burned into my own, "You are the reason my family is dead. I should be taking Nikolai's side as revenge. I shouldn't even help you at all."

Gen steps forward and points her tiny finger to Maikoh's chest, "Now look here, Miko!" It's Maikoh, " Don't you dare blame my sister. She didn't ask for any of this. She just so happened to be the Mate of a Hellhound and all of a sudden the whole world is out to get her! She already has enough on her plate so back the hell up from my sister!"

Maikoh's eyes was bouncing between looking at her tiny finger and her face.

I sighed and grabbed Gen's shoulder tightly to pull her back, "It is my fault," I told Maikoh, "I do not ask of you to forgive me, but it would be a mistake to side with Nikolai. He was a werewolf turned vampire. He cannot be trusted, he has broken every law of nature. If he wins this war, you and your people will become his slaves, that is only if he doesn't kill you all."