Chapter Nine

That frustration was back, pounding through my veins and burning in my head

That frustration was back, pounding through my veins and burning in my head. I could have burned down the entire library if I wanted, I wouldn't even have had to think about it. Just a thought would have burned the confusing, cryptic books that sat in front of me. You'd think having a personal library that documented every single person in your family and every family you knew would be helpful. Every spell, hex, or curse, every reign, and fall of leaders, the entire history of the coven that lead all the way back to us living in the countryside of England before the discovery of the Americas were all leather bound and placed on the shelves. Even the Native American witches had their books in this library.

And despite having enemies for hundreds of years, we had little about them. Nothing I could find had anything to do with the New York hunters, nothing about the leaders or how the groups of hunters worked. We needed to get better at getting information. I sat on a spinning bar stool with seriously rusted legs, searching for something that helped me uncover the crazy cryptic messages that Gyn had told me. I was now missing school for the third day in a row just to find something. Like he had felt me thinking about him as I turned another page of worn parchment, my phone buzzed with a message from Adam.

Watcha up to? Want to come to a party?

or a get together really

It's at my house, 7 pm plz come.

I stood on the deadly stool and closed the book, I needed to get home and shower, and change, it had been to many days. I tucked the book under my arm and turned back to the furthest bookshelf in the library, where I had found one of the few books about hunters, it had only ben stories of the witch hunters. But it had been a start. I began to turn when something caught my eye, a brown box on the top of the shelf, the only box in the entire place.

I placed the book on the ground and reached for the box, my fingers barely brushed the bottom hanging over the side. I cursed to myself and reached out again, summoning air. Fingers tingling and energy pounding through my veins, filtering out the anger I'd felt moments ago. Pure and natural instead of dark and angry.

The box dropped into my hands. And I immediately was angry again. On the top of the pile of books in the box was a notebook, the front was scribbled but absolutely said Hunter families, names and places. Gyn's handwriting. What a bitch, hiding it from me when I asked her where books were. I really needed to stop trusting that woman, she was old and thought she was one of the damn seers from Hercules. I was bitter and incredibly tired, so I left the library, keeping that book under my arm as I headed out of the library and into the living room of the safe house, and to the Honda sitting in the Driveway, I turned on the engine and checked my phone again, this time the new message was from Nathan.

Find anything?

I texted back.

Maybe, I'll let you know later.