Chapter Seven

In a shocking turn of events, being in our old room and playing our old game, the world didn't reset to that time

   In a shocking turn of events, being in our old room and playing our old game, the world didn't reset to that time. Or even figure its own problems. On Sunday we met with people who had concerns about everything, and Gyn and I figured out what coven to go to first we would go Tuesday evening. And when I sat down in history on Monday, Adam was there, sitting in the seat in front of me, a worn army green jacket over a black t-shirt. And a dark bruise along his cheekbone.

I placed my bag aside and opened my book. "What happened to you?"

"A wall." He muttered. "A terrifying wall."

I frowned. That was a lie. "Do I get to know what made you leave so suddenly? I did have to finish a project alone because of it."

He was silent.

Okay then.

I was quiet for the rest of the class, smiling widely when I received an A on the project despite having little help from my partner who was now acting incredibly strange. He stared straight ahead the whole class and when he got up to leave I realized he hadn't even brought a bag. Adam was all sorts of confusing, from the shocking warm welcome to the cold and just as sudden wall of mystery, and despite all of my other problems, I wanted to uncover his secrets. Desperately needed to learn why he was the way he was, What secrets he had and why the bruise question made him shut up.

I needed to get myself together, my priorities were all over the place. I'd been telling myself to get it together a lot lately. Probably would keep until the world made sense again. I sat in the rainy courtyard once more, and after a silence, Adam came into the courtyard, his collar flipped up and no sign of his shadow KJ.

"Hey there." He smiled, and it looked painful.

"Hey." I waved weakly.

He shuffled over, sitting beside me. "So I'm sorry for bailing randomly,"

I shifted, rubbing my hands over my knees. "Its okay, you don't really owe me anything," I muttered we had met a few months ago, and despite having some weird witchy electricity running through me whenever we touched, we had no reason to be anything but acquaintances.

"I..." He stuttered. "I know, but I felt bad just leaving without telling you."

"What were you doing?" I asked.

"My dad took me on a work trip, he said he'd need an extra pair of hands." He didn't look me in the eyes. "It was just a weird week and I really shouldn't have gone."

I ignored all of my alarms in my head begging to find out what he did with his dad, and why KJ was also gone, and who the girl who came to get them had been. I remained silent. I didn't have time to ask questions.

"Do you want to get a milkshake with me later today?" He asked after I didn't respond. "All paid for and rides by me."

I raised a brow. "Sure."