Chapter Five

I was back to sitting alone during school, that weird sense of cheer was gone and I was pissed. It felt strange to be so mad that I was back to being lonely during lunch. Three weeks of it had been enough before meeting Adam, but the separation felt wrong like I should have none where he was and when he didn't show up once again, I felt...left.

I needed to get over myself. The teacher stopped me as I passed him after the bell rung.

"Miss Bane?"

I gave a friendly smile to the students who passed as I stopped and turned to the desk. "Yes, Sir?"

"Did you and Mister Hopkins finish your project before he left?" He asked, shuffling papers into a folder, and lining his pens into their spots beside a notebook.

"No, we got most of it done." I noticed that KJ wasn't in class either, I glanced away to his seat and then back to the teacher. "I can get it finished and have it done in time."

He frowned, the fine lines fit his frown lines and I guessed that was what happened when you were a high school teacher. "I'll give you the full grade for your work, with understanding that your partner left."

"Thank you so much." I began to turn but stopped. "Do you know where Adam went?"

"His dad called the school and said he wouldn't be in school for a week or so, family business."

"Oh," I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and thanked him again for his understanding of the piece and headed out of the classroom. I found Nathan in the cafeteria, sitting slightly away from the rest of the mathletes. I eyed him curiously.

"Whats up Nate?" I asked, sitting in the now free spot across from him.

His eyes were luminous. "What do you mean?"

I sipped apple juice out of the tiny bendy straw. "You aren't sitting close to your class." I gestured to the other kids who were a few feet away from him.

"It's not worth it."

"What?" I dropped the straw.

"We have more important things to focus on than this school," there was something bitter in the way he spoke, something angry. "We shouldn't really be here."

I stayed silent. Desperately trying to figure out what had happened. Nathan had always agreed that school was for the best, that hiding completely wasn't an answer. That we deserved a sense of normality. My silence finally drew his gaze from its focusing point on the table in front of him.

"What happened?" I asked, reaching for his hand.

"I saw hunters earlier this morning. They were in Times Square." He breathed deeply. "They were talking about the presence of witches, the way that nature responded to us let them know it was clear we're here."