Chapter two

The week moved by smooth, the other coven members finished bringing our stuff, we now had full bed sets, and all of my clothes had made their way to the floor of my closet already. Mother had hired someone to clean up our bathroom so now I could take wonderfully long showers and not have to worry about the weird green fuzz on the faucet. Saturday morning, three weeks after the first day of school, I sat on a bar stool and watching Nathan take a shot at trying to figure out why the garbage disposal was not working. He was mostly under the sink, his tee shirt riding up, drawing my attention while we talked.

"Ya know," I drawled and scooped another spoonful of yogurt into my mouth, listening to the shower in the bathroom shut off. "This is what professionals are for."

The blonde head of hair peered out for half a second, passing me some side eye before grabbing a crescent wrench and going back under the sink.

"Just because I can't fix this with a spell or some shit doesn't mean I can't do this." He said in between grunts and then twisted into his side, still under the sink.

"Uhuh," I settled on the easiest part of homework. "How are your grades doing?"

Another grunt followed by, "Good."

"What's good? I'm a C over here," I whined, knowing he had all A's without him even answering.

"Some guys think that's enough." He said, muffled by the cupboard, then he chuckled at his own joke. "I'm funny."

The bathroom door opened and Nathan stopped laughing and went back to his self given job. My mother stepped into the room, long black pants on, and a tank top that was crushed velvet, her hair was still wet and pulled into a bun. Her eyes scanned the two of us. "How's it going, Nate?" She asked.

"Um, does a strained grunt answer your question?"

Her red lips formed a smile. "Don't hurt yourself, I can always call someone."

I finished off my yogurt and glanced at the open trash can beside the fridge, without touching the empty container, I flicked it towards the trash, sending it through the room. "Slam dunk," I muttered and went back to my homework.

My mother moved quietly through the apartment, picking up her coat and shoes before turning back to the kitchen. "I am going to the farmhouse, I seem to have had a breakthrough in the last few days," she glanced at me. "You could come if you'd like, I won't be back for a few days."

I frowned. "I can't miss school this week."

She shared my frown. "You'll be okay here alone?"

I nodded. "Yes, I have my phone if you need me, I'm sure that, Nathan can take me to you if needed."

Nathan popped up from the floor and smiled as he swayed slightly. "I would be happy."

She bit her lip, considering all her options, even though I knew that she would choose work, I didn't need her this time, and the coven did, to make new spells and potions for protection. "And you'll stay safe? Out of trouble."