Twenty

Days passed slowly. Severus had ordered me to stay in the house, not knowing what would come of me if I were to leave. Since I had become pregnant, he rarely let me out of his sight. It had caused me to go stir crazy. Being isolated wasnt my favorite thing, but waiting for Severus was. 

Severus was out for the day, getting supplies. We would be heading back to Hogwarts in a few days. We both knew we wouldnt be very welcome, but we had orders. I sat in the living room, my hand resting over my hardly showing stomach. I had my legs tucked under me and a book in my free hand. The hand on my stomach rubbed gently, protectively. 

I had moments of doubt, doubts that I could raise a child since I was only a child myself. I did have Severus, though. I had him to keep this baby and I safe. Though I had doubts that he could protect me once our child was in the world. My father would have no use for me after this. Then again he wouldnt have use for Severus. 

Ive worried every single day that Voldemort would no longer find use for Severus since this child had been conceived. The child was due just before the war would begin and I felt in my soul that Severus would not survive. The way I  knew my father wouldnt. I had nightmares for the weeks since I had learned of Sevs love for me. Nightmares where I would see his blood on my hands. 

I could see his onyx eyes become void of light, hear the last shaky breath leave his pale, parted lips, and feel his hand in mine go limp and grow cold as I sob into his chest. I cant hear his heartbeat and I will his lungs to pull in a breath of air. 

My eyes fell out of focus as I thought on this. My father would kill my husband, the one I was growing to love, and I knew I had to learn how to stop it. I closed the book, waving it away from me now. It found its way back to the shelf, settling back into its place. I rubbed my face, feeling the familiar flutter in my abdomen. I smiled down at my stomach. 

"My thoughts getting to you, too?" I whispered, as though the baby could hear me. I guess by now, the baby could hear me. I rubbed the spot where the child had kicked moments earlier. I smiled again when it kicked. "I love you, darling." I mumbled, eyes stinging softly. 

One thing was perfectly clear to me, I had to protect the baby no matter what. As soon as it was alive and breathing, I would give my life to protect them. 

The doorknob turned, making me look up. Severus walked in the room quietly. He looked to me, giving me a half smile. "I thought youd be asleep still," His voice drawled out. The moment his voice broke the silence, I felt the flutter become harder. I placed my hand over it again. Sev frowned, moving over to me, the bags already being plaaced on the counter. 

"Are you alright?" He asked, concern flooding his usually stone face. 

"Im fine, they like your voice." I whispered. His lips curved into a smile, dropping to kneel in front of me. His hands hesitantly place on my rounded stomach. 

"Hello, baby." His voice whispered. I smiled as the flutter pushed against his hand. "Im glad you like my voice." Sevs lips pursed a bit, leaning his head forwars to rest his forehead agaisnt my stomach. 

"You are already so loved." Severus whispered, pressing a soft kiss to my stomach. 

"Always will be," I promised, placing my hand to Sevs head. 

This was how my world should be. This is happiness and joy. This was love.