Chapter 44

We were already back home. Neither in the plane nor at home did I talk to Aneel. He tried to talk to me but I ignored him. Stupid, I know, but I was just scared. Scared to actually hear the truth that he knew this all till now. I couldn't, and didn't believe it. If they weren't my real family, I would've known by now. My grandmother would've told me. I was sure of it. So just to relax my mind, we were going to my family. I was going to ask them. I was going to ask them about them.

"You don't need to come" I said to Aneel when he came out of the house after me. He really didn't need to come. I mean, he hid it. Why now being with me?

"I want to" he told me. I didn't want to argue so I left it. As we were driving to my old house, I felt the fear going through my whole body. The place where they did everything to me. The place where they took my childhood, my happiness. My happiness which I didn't even meet with. Even though I was mad at Aneel, I knew that I was safe entering the house with him. I knew that he wouldn't let anything happen again. When we made our way to the front door, I was slightly shaking. I felt cold and memories came back to my mind. I didn't want to think about it.

"You worthless waste!" he said punching me in my stomach. They always punched me in my stomach and even though I was used to it, it still hurt so bad each time.

"Please stop! Don't touch her! Kick, punch- do everything to me but not her, please, I beg you!" my grandma screamed. I yelled a 'no'. I couldn't see her going through this all because of me. I didn't know why they were doing this.

My father turned to my grandma and let me fall. I fell on the floor and everywhere hurt. I looked over at them and saw him now beating my grandma. I screamed and tried to stand up but it didn't work. I couldn't move a bone. Ya Allah, you see all this.. Why don't you help me, help us?

I opened my eyes when I felt something soft on my hand. It was just a memory, it's not going to happen again, I told myself and looked over at the softness on my hand. Aneel had hold of my hand and intwined our fingers. This was one of the few times when he made the first move. I looked him in the eyes and he looked at me with guilt written all over his face. I took a deep breath and pressed on the doorbell. My mother opened the door.

"Salaam, what are you guys doing here?" She asked. She just stepped aside when both of us didn't reply and let us in. I went over to the living room, with still Aneel holding my hand. I didn't even bother to take off my shoes, not that anyone ever prayed in this house. I saw my mother and father sitting there and they looked at me like in shock I closed my eyes. I couldn't do this. I couldn't.. 'Yes, you can. Just take a deep breath. You have the right to know. You are better now. But be prepared, a very bad time is going to come to you. Don't be scared though, Allah will be always at your side. Just don't make mistakes. I will help you', that voice said, always having holes in the talk making me leave in wonder. I opened my eyes and grabbed my courage together. Aneel squeezed my hand gently and to be honest, that gave me confidence.

"Who am I?" I asked them. A good way to start, right? Not. They looked at me like I was crazy.

"What are you saying, my daughter?" My mother said. It was all fake. She was acting nicely in front of Aneel, just for his money. But she should've quit the act, they won't get a cent.

"Don't call me that. Who is Yasmin?" I asked them. Their eyes widened and they looked at each other. Okay, so they knew anything about it. That was when my dad started to laugh. Not a real laugh though, just full of nervousness.

"You are so funny! What are you talking about?" he said and I snapped.

"Well, tell me. Who the hell is Yasmin? Who the hell is Yassir, Yessin? Who. are. they?" I asked them. They stopped laughing and were sending looks to each other the whole time. They didn't talk and that was getting on my nerves.