Chapter 5: Conversations

all unedited 

+

Selena's POV

"Selena, I need to talk to you." Was what Ryan said as soon as I opened my front door. Not a hey, hello, or how is my son. That's how I knew something wasn't right.

"Of course, come in." I motioned for him to come in and he took a seat on the single chair in the living room.

"I don't know how to tell you this." He stated nervously, rubbing his hands together.

"Ryan, what's wrong? You're scaring me." I said gently and sat down on the edge of the couch, just close enough to where I could grab his hands with mine. "You can tell me; I will understand whatever it is you have to tell me." I smiled softly and rubbed my hand against his in a soothing manner.

"Well, um, I got a new job offer; a better one actually." He smiled widely and I congratulated him with a smile and a hug telling him that's a good thing, but he stopped me from congratulating him even further. "Selena, that's not all."

"What is it?"

"The job is in Canada." He mumbled, handing his head low.

"What?" I gasped. Canada?

Ryan looked into my eyes wearing a sad expression. "I know. I told them I would have to think about it because, you know, I have Evan." Ryan sighed. "I don't what to do, Selena." I could tell Ryan was tired, obviously this has been on his mind for quite a while and he didn't know how to tell me.

Ryan was probably worried about losing Evan. He lost his daughter, I knew he didn't want to lose his son either.

"Ry, I can't tell you what to do. This is all up to you and your future."

Ryan groaned. "I know!" He leaned back in the chair, letting go of my hands. "It's a 30 thousand dollar pay raise a year from what I currently get, and that's freaking amazing! I just—"

"You don't want to lose Evan." I finished for him and he nodded.

"The boss told me I would only work in the office 3 days out of the week, just as long as 2 days at home I'm keeping up with the work on my computer." Ryan said. "The boss understood me not wanting to leave my family, but he urged me to really think about it."

3 days out of the week? Maybe that would give the kids and I a good excuse to go visit Canada.

"Selena, I just don't want to live my life on a plane every weekend and I don't want you to feel obligated to have to bring Evan to see me every weekend."

"I know, I know." I told him and I got up from my spot on the couch and sat next to him on the chair. Ryan leaned his head against my shoulder, and I ran my fingers through his short hair.

"This isn't fair." He said with a chuckled and I laughed too.

"Life isn't fair." I replied. "But we'll figure it out, I promise."

Ryan and I sat on the small chair for about 15 minutes, just enjoying each other's company until I got up and decided to get dinner ready for the kids and me. They went to the local fair with my mom, dad and Pattie and spent time with them.

"What should I make for dinner?" I asked Ryan as we walked into the kitchen.

"Spaghetti, I know that's Esther's and Evan's favorite." Ryan answered with a smile.