Chapter 13: Announcements

Selena's POV

Christmas came and went, Shiloh ended up taking the kids and I to Hawaii to celebrate the holidays and New Year's. Now it was March, and the weather was warming back up to the sixties. Kaylie's prom was tonight and at the moment she was out getting ready for the night.

            "Time flies when you're having fun." Shiloh said and came up behind me kissing my cheek. "What's for dinner?"

            "Lemon pepper chicken." I answered. "Did work tell you what the meeting was about?" When I asked, Shiloh seemed to get nervous and hesitate, but he answered 'yes,' but gave no further explanation. "Can you get out the bread from the freezer and preheat the oven?"

"Of course." Shiloh got the Texas toast out of the freezer. "When does Kaylie and the kids get home?" He asked scratching his head.

            "Shiloh, I'm making dinner, we can't have sex, not right now." I laughed.

            "Okay for starters, that's not what I was going to ask you." He laughed in return.

            "Then what did you want to 'talk' about?"

            "I know there's a reason why you're not pressing me about the meeting. You want me to say it myself, to talk about it more."

            "Mhm-mm," I mumbled waiting for Shiloh to continue. I didn't expect him to say what he did.

            "They want me to move to Texas and open a clinic."

            I swallowed. "When?" I croaked out.

            "By July." He sighed. "I told them I would have to think about it."

            "Why think about it?" I asked. Why does this happen to me? All the guys I ever care about end up moving away. At this point I was trying to hold back tears so I could finish dinner.

            "I have to think about it because you're here in Florida. Selena, I care and love you so much, I'm not ready to give you up."           

            I looked up at him, stopping completely what I was doing. "You—you love me?"

            "Uh," Shiloh took a step a back. "Shit."

            Great he regrets it. "It's fine, you didn't mean to say it."

            "No, I meant to say it, I mean it, this just isn't or wasn't the right time I wanted to tell you that I love you."

            "Shiloh, I love you too." I smiled and pulled him in for a hug. "But you have to go, do what is best for your career." I said into his shoulder.

            "No, I'm not giving up on you—on us." I hugged Shiloh and we stayed that way for a good minute before we both went back to doing our part in cooking.

            The front door opened and closed, and Kaylie walked in with Daisy who was holding her dress and shoes and had an overnight bag with her. "Mind if I stay the night, mama?" Daisy asked and I shook my head and laughed.

            "Our home is your home."

            "Right on," Daisy pumped and went up the stairs to Kaylie's room.

            Kaylie and Daisy both wore their hair curled into tight curls; I'm assuming they would brush out later. "Like our hair and makeup?" Kaylie asked and I nodded.

            "You look beautiful." I smiled and Kaylie came to give me a hug.

            "Why have you been crying?"