Chapter 9: The Ex Meets the Fiancé

Selena's POV

            The work week came and go quickly. Ever since the text message I received from Justin, I simply replied to him okay and have been in my feelings ever since. Shiloh constantly checks on me, but I have been ignoring him as well. If Justin can be happy, why can't I?

            Maybe it's because I still want Justin to suffer from what he put me through in the past. Maybe I was still sorting out my own feelings.

            Whatever it was, I needed to get over it, fast. Justin and I had no chance of ever getting back together—or that's what I believed anyway.

            When Friday night came, I was left alone in my thoughts as Kaylie was out on a date, and Esther and Evan were out with their grandma Mandy.

            I took advantage of this opportunity. I got comfy in my bed, trapped under my sheets and binged watch my favorite show—Friends. I was five seasons deep in it when the doorbell rang. I was shocked to see Shiloh holding a box of pizza and a 2-liter Coke and a smile plastered on his face.

            "Sorry to bother you, but you've been ignoring my calls and what kind of boyfriend would I be to not do anything about that?" He said with a hopeful smile.

            Shiloh was a great guy—so I let him in, and we continued the marathon upstairs. He noticed I was distant and when he asked, I just told him it was nothing. Of course, he didn't believe me, but didn't ask further. He left around 11 that night.

            Now, it was Saturday, and before Gracie and Jazmyn came in, Justin wanted the kids and I to meet his new fiancé out for breakfast. We were all up and ready by 9 am shockingly and I could tell both Kaylie and Esther were nervous as was I.

            "What if she's a witch?" Kaylie asked, and I knew she wanted to say another word instead.

            "You mean like the wicked witch of the west?" Esther asked nervously and Kaylie responded with a 'yeah, something like that.'

            "Kaylie, let's not judge before we meet her." I said and took in a deep breath. I fixed my blouse as I tried to look my best. I didn't want to dress like a slob and ruin my first impression. Not only would I be introduced as the mother of Justin's children, but also the ex-wife of his.

            "Alright, everyone in the car." I clapped. Kaylie took the passenger seat, and I buckled in Evan and Esther into their car seats.

            The ride to First Watch took only about 15 minutes and the kids sang alone to a Disney playlist I had in the car.

            "Mom are you okay?" Kaylie asked softly. "Your death grip on the wheel might break it."

            I loosened my hands. "Yeah, I'm fine, just nervous is all." I sighed. When we arrived, I saw Justin sitting at a long table with a blonde next to him, inside. "Kids please remember, best behavior." I pointed. "No throwing food, no foul language and nice attitudes."

            Kaylie walked in the lead telling the waitress where we were headed. I had Evan on my hip and held Esther's hand with my free hand from Evan. My heart pounded in my chest and I felt my hand sweating as Esther had her own death grip in my hand.

            I took my thumb and rubbed the back of her hand soothingly, hoping she would get the hint I was right here for everything.

            Justin stood up as soon as he saw us. "Selena," he began with a smile, then added "kids." Kaylie went over and gave her father a hug, and Esther let go of my hand slowly to give her father a hug as well.