Embroidery

Mizuiro was arranging threads by color in the back store of her family shop when she heard the doorbell tingle lightly. Since she was alone today, Mizuiro hastily went to the counter, repeating the sentence she usually said every time someone entered the store.

"Hi, how may I help-"

She became surprised, her face changing from a polite expression to a gentle smile.

"Oh, hi Shino. How are you?"

"Good, and you?"

"I'm doing fine. What brings you here?"

She felt her heartbeat going faster. It has been one week since she saw him. Plus, he never entered their shop before. Mizuiro was wondering why he was there when he got something out of his satchel.

"I came for this," he said while putting a jacket on the counter.

It was nearly identical to the one he was wearing except in a slightly darker color.

"Our family usually goes to another place to mend our clothes, but Hinata showed me the work you did on her jacket. I wanted to come here."

She slowly took the jacket in her hands while examining it. It had a few holes in it, but nothing complicated to repair.

"This is pretty simple to do..." she casually stated. "Did you know we also do embroidery?"

"I didn't."

Mizuiro quickly went to the storage room and came back with two small pieces of fabric.

"I think you'll like these," she said while putting them in front of him.

One of the pieces was embroidered with a bumble bee on it, wings unfolded to show all the fine elements in them. The other one showed a Hercules beetle that was still unfinished, but he could see many details in the legs and antennas. It was a really meticulous work. Shino seemed impressed and used his hand to examine the quality of it.

"I like it," he said after a while.

"Thank you," she said. "Do you ... want one? I have a lot of fun making these."

Mizuiro found herself being quite enthusiastic. It was a bit odd from her. She felt nervous being alone with him again. Apparently, this time it showed up as some sort of excitement. Talking about her embroideries made her kind of proud.

"You did that?"

"Uh, yeah..."

He looked at the pieces of fabric further more.

"A kikkaichu embroidery would be nice," he answered almost immediately. "But I don't want to give you too much work."

"It would be my pleasure."

"Well ... Just over here, maybe?"

He pointed the front pocket on the chest part of his jacket. Mizuiro was somehow impressed by the place he chose: It was of very good taste.

"That would be perfect", said Mizuiro with a subtle smile.

"How much do I owe you for the jacket repairs?"

He started to look for money in his pockets.

"That's 2 500 ryo," she said.

"Great. And for the embroidery?"

"Oh no, that's free."

"... are you sure?"

"Yeah, I do this in my free time. I want to do this for you... you're such a good friend."